Battery | Non daily-driven cobras

tistan

Established Member
how many of you are using speedcals to correct the speedometer? That is probably the culprit for some of you.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I have 2 cars that sit for extended periods. The fox has a weak battery so it's always dead...just part of life to jump it before driving. The cobra I just leave the battery unhooked until I want to drive. It's a 1 year old red top optima.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
how many of you are using speedcals to correct the speedometer? That is probably the culprit for some of you.

I've thought of this being the culprit! Along with my aftermarket alarm lol. It's funny though, after I use my jumpbox to start my car sometimes the speedo doesn't work. I wonder if it's because the speedcal needs to reset itself somehow (no telling when it starts working again - each time seems like a different procedure/number of starts/time period) or because the speedcal used up all the juice.

Also this parasitic drain really first became an issue when I left my radar detector on for a week when I didn't drive the car. My speedcal is tapped into the 12V outlet power supply.. so somehow that corelates. I wish I really knew wtf was going on in there lol. :bash:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I have a speedcal. It does have a constant draw on the battery. With a battery tender its a non issue. Aftermarket alarms will also have a draw.

SnkBit

Established Member
I have a speedcal. It does have a constant draw on the battery. With a battery tender its a non issue. Aftermarket alarms will also have a draw.

I do suspect my alarm is contributing to the draw.

Also this parasitic drain really first became an issue when I left my radar detector on for a week when I didn't drive the car.

Thats when I first noticed a draw too. I unplugged it and the power drain cut in half.

StangmanRob

Established Member
I also have a speedcal tapped into the 12v outlet that came on the car. Does it need to have a constant 12v or can I wire to a switched source (ignition)?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I also have a speedcal tapped into the 12v outlet that came on the car. Does it need to have a constant 12v or can I wire to a switched source (ignition)?

I was thinking about doing this too. I'll see how much amperage it uses from that circuit before I decide though.

Users who are viewing this thread