Battery Lights turned ON???

3ohh2

Established Member
03 SVTF 72K. Battery Light lit up about a month ago but turned off. Over that time it turned on and off several times and never stayed lit consistently but now its ON for good. Never had a major power flux or trouble starting - Car has been running great the entire time.

First guess was the battery. Terminals were a little corroded and the fluid was a little low – fixed it up and the lights still ON. Second guess was the alternator. Checked all the connections and seems ok. Got out the volt meter and checked them both again. Battery is in the green and purged w/o dying. Alternator is in green but closer to the red(no exact number) than it is to the 14.5V in the middle of the green. I’m guessing that the Alt. is starting to go bad (as I keep hearing they do) but don’t know if that is just the normal output for this unit. As I said before, I’ve had no problems with power shortage and the light started over a month ago.

Before I go out and buy a new alt, here’s my question – Is there anything else it could be? What output should the stock alternator produce (I’ll going to try a better meter)? What symptoms should I look for in a dying alternator (I think I hear a whine but maybe I just want to pretend it does!!! :rolling:) And most importantly, did anybody else’s alternator go out slow like this or did it just leave you stranded?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Mine has this thing where sometimes when coming to a stop the engine will shudder and the battery light will come on. It has died a few times during this as well. Mine has a new battery but still does it. The light never stays on.

CT SVT

Established Member
theres a Ford TSB about that. wires on the alternator connector are know it get damaged an cause that problem. also a failing alternator can be the problem. my SVTF already had its alternator wires repair so i never had that problem myself. good luck

wantedmach04

Established Member
theres a Ford TSB about that. wires on the alternator connector are know it get damaged an cause that problem. also a failing alternator can be the problem. my SVTF already had its alternator wires repair so i never had that problem myself. good luck

Do you have the TSB? My 02 is doing the samething. Thank you.

Mullet

Established Member
Mine has this thing where sometimes when coming to a stop the engine will shudder and the battery light will come on. It has died a few times during this as well. Mine has a new battery but still does it. The light never stays on.

My 03 did the exact same thing. Aftermarket tune fixed it for me.

I also had the exact same problem as the OP, battery light would be on intermittently for a few months then one day it was on solid and never turned off. Turned out to be a wire going to the connector on the alternator somehow got pulled out, replaced that and havent had a problem since.

Last edited:

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Mine went and yes, it left me stranded... I noticed the car would start up slower and rougher than normal, shortly after, I found myself stuck at the mall in my parking space. Had it flatbedded home... battery light never came on though...:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread