Battery light won't go away after alternator replacement.

GrayMonster03

Established Member
So a few weeks ago I upgraded my stereo to a pretty big system (1 JL amp, 12" MTX sub, 2 drycell batteries in the trunk, 1 optima battery in engine bay, bunch of zero gauge wire, pioneer double din). As you can all guess, my alternator went dead on me. I read these things were doomed and underpowered out of the factory. Anyhow, I replaced the stock 110amp with a 220. After the install, my battery light came on my cluster and hasn't gone away since. It has been a week, and I have triple checked every wire, terminal, and voltage. I get 14.5 v on the battery when the car is running, and 12.38 when it's off. I load tested the battery and it passed. I am wondering if this is a PCM issue. I tried clearing it with a OBDII scanner but no trouble codes come up. I'm all out of options and don't know what else to do.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
It's not a PCM error. If I recall correctly - the only thing that can trigger the battery light is the alternator's voltage regulator. Might just be a bad alternator - was the light ever off since the install?

2011roush

Established Member
Could be a overcharge being you put a bigger alternator on. The light is designed to come on for under and over voltage

04Cobra03

Established Member
I have been dealing with my battery light that comes on and off a lot. only difference is that my voltage stays from 13.0-13.8 v while thew car is driving, so my battery light is another issue, I believe if the volts go above 14 then it is a voltage regulator problem on the new alternator. I have a little voltage guage that plugs into my cig lighter and while I drive the voltage never goes above 13.8.
IMG_5856_zpswmm3a6yu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread