Battery keeps dieing!

blk96SVT

Established Member
Mine was doing this years ago and the shop finally found what the problem was. One of my amp's was bad and it was draining the battery. Check your amps.

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
I have heard of the mach sound system amps drawing power during off times and draining the battery.

that might be it actually. I started having these problems around the time I put my new headunit in. Maybe something got fouled up during the install. Whats the easiest way to cut power to the amps? maybe just pull the fuse?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Try disconnecting the amps and let it sit a couple days. But a draw test needs to be done. It will narrow it down quick

Oceanside78

Established Member
What do you have for audio/security? If you have amps, pull the fuse out of the holder under hood, should look cylindrical and lead straight from battery through firewall.

Next, pull the head unit out, disconnect it. Then, if you have a security system you can pull out the brain, but you'll have to reconnect your starter wire as you'll probably have a starter kill relay and won't be able to start it if you just unplug it. If it still goes dead, then none of your audio/security is the culprit. If it does NOT die, reconnect radio and leave it for a while. If it still holds a charge, put the fuse back in the power cable for the amps. Yada yada yada, process of elimination

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
I had previously pulled the radio head unit to see if that was the culprit, but it wasn't. Today I pulled the fuse for the amps to see if that fixes it. The car is currently charging (might leave it on the trickle charger overnight). *fingers crossed*

Oceanside78

Established Member
Pull anything aftermarket that has current draw. This might sound like a dumb question, but your amp is hooked to the remote wire on the deck right? (blue wire with white stripe?) you'd be surprised when I installed how many people did that incorrectly and the amp stayed on 24/7

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
Pull anything aftermarket that has current draw. This might sound like a dumb question, but your amp is hooked to the remote wire on the deck right? (blue wire with white stripe?) you'd be surprised when I installed how many people did that incorrectly and the amp stayed on 24/7

not sure about that. crutchfield pretty much walked me through the install on the head unit, so its possible they lead me wrong on something.

Users who are viewing this thread