Battery ground had me stumped...

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
My snake wouldn't start one morning as I was leaving for work, starter would just click. 1st thought was battery, but it wouldn't crank with booster box on it. 2nd thought was starter. Changed starter--still no start. Replaced negative cable(looked bad), still no start. Did a search on here and found out someone else had same problem and replacing parts, still had no start. It turned out to be a bad ground on the motor. Moved the ground from near oil filter to a stud on the front of the motor and it fired right up. Everything ok now, but take it from me, check your ground before you start thowing parts on the car.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
check your ground before you start thowing (throwing) parts on the car.

I've said that a thousand times. I spent two days on the garage floor removing & replacing, and reinstalling the starter on my old '95.

A good way to nail down a bad ground (starter related), is to connect one side of a set of jumper cables to the battery ground terminal - and the other end to a different ground point on the engine, then try to start it!:beer:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I've said that a thousand times. I spent two days on the garage floor removing & replacing, and reinstalling the starter on my old '95.

A good way to nail down a bad ground (starter related), is to connect one side of a set of jumper cables to the battery ground terminal - and the other end to a different ground point on the engine, then try to start it!:beer:
Bling!

Last edited:

COBRASVT

Established Member
My Dad always says this when there's an electrical problem. It's very easy to forget to check though.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Dano---op here. When I did a search, I think it was one of your old posts that lead me to find the bad ground using jumper cables to ground battery. If it was you, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread