Battery drain - PCM?

GreyAsp

Established Member
My battery has been draining pretty rapidly lately. I only drive about once a week and for the last 3 weeks it's been stone dead (alarm isn't even active) after sitting for the week. The battery tested fine after recharging, so I put a meter on it and found a 150-160mA drain. I started with the hi-current fuses and saw the drain disappear when I pulled #6 (Instrument Cluster/PCM).

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I installed a Predator for the first time about a month ago... don't know if it's just coincidence.

Thanks.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I doubt the tuner would do anything but feel free to give it a try ya know?

As for anything else good luck. I don't do electrical.

cobraracer46

Banned
GreyAsp said:
The battery tested fine after recharging, so I put a meter on it and found a 150-160mA drain. I started with the hi-current fuses and saw the drain disappear when I pulled #6 (Instrument Cluster/PCM)

Just so you know, according to Ford, a current draw of 350mA or less is OK. Keep in mind that the Computer and other modules in the car are always active and the current draw reading you are seeing is perfectly normal.

GreyAsp

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Just so you know, according to Ford, a current draw of 350mA or less is OK. Keep in mind that the Computer and other modules in the car are always active and the current draw reading you are seeing is perfectly normal.
Are you sure? I read in another thread on here where someone had a 200mA draw and it drained his battery in less than a day.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
GreyAsp said:
Are you sure? I read in another thread on here where someone had a 200mA draw and it drained his battery in less than a day.

Well do some math though. A standard car battery is 70-85 amp hour.

You might just have a weak battery. Don't go by voltage though. Get the CCA's tested.

slo-ryd

SCT Certified
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
You might just have a weak battery. Don't go by voltage though. Get the CCA's tested.

X2 Charge it up and take it to a parts store that can run a load test on it. My 2year old Optima was dying just like this a few weeks ago. Thankfully it had a 3 year replacement warranty :-D

Of course when I got the car it was dying after sitting 2 days, which turned out to be the left rear Mach 460 amp just drawing current when the car was off :dw:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread