Battery drain on MAXI12 Fuse circuit..?

MAXX RS4

Established Member
OK, I have an update. Very little (nothing) has been resolved.

After doing further proding and investigating, I came to realize that it's not just the HD LPS fuse causing the drain.

There are 6 fuses that are! INT LPS, AUDIO, ALT, HD LPS, EEC, FAN.

Here's the kicker:
It doesn't matter if just ONE or ALL are plugged in, the drain will read the same consistantly. That leads me to believe that there must be drain in the circuit leading up to those fuses.. Does that make sense?

I'm going to have all night and hald a day tomorrow. Then I wont be able to work on it again for another 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Thanks in advance!

SNAKEYE

Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
OK, I have an update. Very little (nothing) has been resolved.

After doing further proding and investigating, I came to realize that it's not just the HD LPS fuse causing the drain.

There are 6 fuses that are! INT LPS, AUDIO, ALT, HD LPS, EEC, FAN.

Here's the kicker:
It doesn't matter if just ONE or ALL are plugged in, the drain will read the same consistantly. That leads me to believe that there must be drain in the circuit leading up to those fuses.. Does that make sense?

I'm going to have all night and hald a day tomorrow. Then I wont be able to work on it again for another 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Thanks in advance!

That makes no apparent sense!

I took a quick look over the power distribution diagram(s). I am thinking that your voltage regulator, or perhaps a diode in your alternator, is the culprit. To test first disconnect the positive battery cable (which is probably already done), then disconnect all of the wires from the generator/voltage regulator, then with all fuses in place test for a drain on the battery.

Other than that we'll pick up right about here next year!

Last edited:

MAXX RS4

Established Member
MAXX RS4:
Just did it and the drain remains! I'm at a complete loss with this. As much as I really want to figure this out myself, I'm starting to have doubts. How much would you ballpark a cost for getting this figured out professionally. Where would I even go for something like this? I'm sure Ford would charge me millions.

Any ideas on what else it could be or what to test? It really doesn't make sense, does it? Is there something more simple that we're both overlooking?

SNAKEYE:
Okay, let's try isolating the CCRM this time.
Pull the FAN, FUEL PUMP, and EEC fuses in the engine compartment fuse box, and check for drain.
If the drain disappears the CCRM is bad.
If the drain persists, pull the ALT, AUDIO, and INT LPS fuses (now all of those that individually show a drain, excapt for the the original HD LPS, will be still in), then go to the instrument panel fuse block and pull each of the following in sequence and check for the disappearance of the drain: fuse #4-10A(air bag diagnostic), the #8-10A(Clock, radio memory, data link), Circuit Breaker #12-20A(Trunk release and remote keyless entry), and #16-20A(anti-theft system and controller), until, hopefully, the drain disappears. When it does, the last thing you pulled is the culprit.
If this doesn't find the culprit circuit I don't know where to look next, other than any after-market plug-in or hard-wired adapters/convertors/transmitters/alrms/amps, etc. that should have been eliminated by disconnection since back on Day 1.

OK. I did all that and the drain dropped when I pulled the #8 Fuse. According to this chart I'm going by I believe I checked everything but the problem hasn't gone away. I pulled all the lightbulbs from inside the car and removed the dome light, yanked the entire radio system and disconnected the amps and speakers in the back, pulled out the power window switch, pulled out the clock, and removed what I believe was the keyless entry module.

The module I pulled out was this little plastic case attatched the the trunklid with a single connector going to it.

Is there anthing else on that circuit to check? And am I checking everything the correct way?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
MAXX RS4 said:
I pulled all the lightbulbs from inside the car and removed the dome light, yanked the entire radio system and disconnected the amps and speakers in the back, pulled out the power window switch, pulled out the clock, and removed what I believe was the keyless entry module.

Holy shlt! You have been busy, huh?;-)

SNAKEYE

Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
OK. I did all that and the drain dropped when I pulled the #8 Fuse. According to this chart I'm going by I believe I checked everything but the problem hasn't gone away. I pulled all the lightbulbs from inside the car and removed the dome light, yanked the entire radio system and disconnected the amps and speakers in the back, pulled out the power window switch, pulled out the clock, and removed what I believe was the keyless entry module.

The module I pulled out was this little plastic case attatched the the trunklid with a single connector going to it.

Is there anthing else on that circuit to check? And am I checking everything the correct way?

I don't know for sure, and I can't check my own trunk for a little plastic case attached to the trunklid because ol' SNAKEYE has gone into hibernation for the Winter and is all wrapped up, but I'd say that little plastic case is the switch for the trunk light. When the lid is lifted gravity switches the light on. If something is wrong with the switch the trunk light will stay on and kill the battery.

Otherwise, without being able to poke that bad boy myself, I'm about at the end of what I think I can tell you to look for. Besides that, you've about ripped everything out and still haven't done away with the drain on the battery.

"UNCLE!", I give up. Time to seek out a professional. That could almost be a difficult.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
I don't know for sure, and I can't check my own trunk for a little plastic case attached to the trunklid because ol' SNAKEYE has gone into hibernation for the Winter and is all wrapped up, but I'd say that little plastic case is the switch for the trunk light. When the lid is lifted gravity switches the light on. If something is wrong with the switch the trunk light will stay on and kill the battery.

Otherwise, without being able to poke that bad boy myself, I'm about at the end of what I think I can tell you to look for. Besides that, you've about ripped everything out and still haven't done away with the drain on the battery.

"UNCLE!", I give up. Time to seek out a professional. That could almost be a difficult.

Does anyone know where the module for the remote keyless system is located at? Thanks

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Well, that's definately not what I pulled out from my trunk! I looked on the net for over a half hour to get a pic of it and even searched ebay and wasnt able to find it..

Thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread