Battery drain on camper appliance circuit, need help!

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So my wife and I have a monstrosity of a horse trailer with living quarters on it. Fully loaded like most rv's. I noticed when we returned from a recent camping trip that my battery was dead, not allowing the electric jack to work.

It has a onboard inverter/battery charger that charges the battery while on 110v. Well, after countless hours with the volt meter, I found that the big draw draining the battery is coming from the appliance circuit. The appliances in it that utilize 12v for the igniters are the fridge and hot water heater. I believe that's it. So, I guess I'm stuck at this point and trying to figure out which one would be causing the constant draw.

So, I guess looking for some suggestions or help at where to start at this point.

swok

I love mods, and not the car ones.
Established Member
Is your hot water heater and frigde also fueled by propane as well or are they 100 percent electric?
Most units I believe you can run them on propane when you don't have an electrical hook up?

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Do you have a clamp on amp meter? Easy to trace down with that. Hook up to draining circuit and unplug until it goes away.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Is your hot water heater and frigde also fueled by propane as well or are they 100 percent electric?
Most units I believe you can run them on propane when you don't have an electrical hook up?

They can also be fueled with propane. There is a switch in the camper to turn the hot water heater on/off, and I verified that it was in the off position. Same with the fridge. That's what confuses me!

oldmodman

Established Member
Are the appliances fused separately? If they are pull one fuse at a time until the current drain stops.

If they are not fused separately (bad design) can you unscrew the power lugs one at a time? You need to determine which appliance is drawing the power.

Then pull the bad one out for repair. There are tools that can measure current flow in a wire without removing or perforating it. Maybe you can borrow or rent one?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Pretty sure I've figured it out. I pulled the power wires from the fridge and the drain went away. Now to figure out why there is a drain on the 12v side of the fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread