Battery Disconnect Switch Mounting Recommendation

SonicMIA

Established Member
I am looking for a mounting location on my car for the battery disconnect switch. I have a 2004 Cobra and my battery is mounted in the trunk of course. Now here is the tricky part, I DO NOT want to drill or modify any body panel of the car and yet have a clean install, I have heard that some people have done this but never seen pictures of such an accomplishement. So I am asking for suggestions, pictures of disconnect switches, components used or any other info regarding the matter.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
I'll let you know what I come up with. I have heard of drilling a hole through the tail light because that is removable. Have another tail light and run that when around town. Then when you go to the track put in the tail light that has the battery cutoff switch. Not sure if I will go that route yet. Still exploring other options.

Vette Eater

Established Member
are you wanting it on the outside of the car? I mounted mine under the hood. There is a hole just in front of the driver side fuse and relay bank and just behind the hole where the washer fluid can is. I mounted mine there. You can't see it, its out of site and its easy to get to. However, I don't think that is a "legal" location for competitive track tech...It has passed tech with no problems for True Street for me.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
are you wanting it on the outside of the car? I mounted mine under the hood. There is a hole just in front of the driver side fuse and relay bank and just behind the hole where the washer fluid can is. I mounted mine there. You can't see it, its out of site and its easy to get to. However, I don't think that is a "legal" location for competitive track tech...It has passed tech with no problems for True Street for me.

if you want to be "NHRA legal" this option wont work... to meet nhra, your going to be very limited to how you can do the install. I currently have the kill switch mounted in my trunk, but no holes drilled yet. I am probably going to do the above option of having a second taillight for the track so i can clearly mark it as described below without looking "stupid" on the street.

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters.

SonicMIA

Established Member
I'll let you know what I come up with. I have heard of drilling a hole through the tail light because that is removable. Have another tail light and run that when around town. Then when you go to the track put in the tail light that has the battery cutoff switch. Not sure if I will go that route yet. Still exploring other options.

That is a good idea, definately like it. Will explore something like that.

Yeah I would need to put the switch outside the vehicle in the back. It is for drag racing.

if you want to be "NHRA legal" this option wont work... to meet nhra, your going to be very limited to how you can do the install. I currently have the kill switch mounted in my trunk, but no holes drilled yet. I am probably going to do the above option of having a second taillight for the track so i can clearly mark it as described below without looking "stupid" on the street.

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters.

Thanks for the very helpful info. Everytime I go to the track the guy just tells me I need a switch and doesn't specify anymore than that.

I have heard of a switch knob that sticks out through between the rear bumper and the trunk lid. Never seen pictures of it, its almost like a myth type of thing, LOL. Anyone know what I am talking about? Or seen something like that?

03snkvert

Established Member
Some guys will mount the switch through one of the mounting screws of the license plate. If I were going to do it though, I would go through the tail like as has been mentioned earlier.

venom04svt

Established Member
I think it slickest and most functional is doing it thru the reverse light on one of your taillights, you don't have to swap it out for street driving or anything!

antiv6

Established Member
id cut behind the license plate and put a switch there then just take your plate off at the track

svt2712

Established Member
on my wifes 2003 GT i bought a Maroso two post disconnect switch and installed it in the trunk key hole. the leads then reach down to the batt box and you can connect the switch if you want or run it disconnected. I had to make a extension to get the switches on/off handle to reach out far enought. I know that the switch is not 100% legal (rear most portion of the car). here are some pics of how i did it. I is also not legal because it you turn it off with the car running it stays running due to not cutting power from the alternator. I regret not using the 4 post and running 2 extra wires.
:shrug: its what i did but may not be for you.:shrug:
IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread