Bassani XXX exhaust System emissions?

rwhite

Banned
Although not apples to apples, I had a 2002 Corvette C5A4 over 450 HP (radical lopping cam, high flow heads, LT headers) with only 2 aftermarket cats and passed the emissions test here in the Dallas area.

tattooed1

Established Member
I have the same system on my 08,but with no cats.Just for fun i had "A Friend" run it on a sniffer and it passed.It never even turned the check engine light on.I also had the same setup on my Lightning with no cats and it passed with no problems.BTW i live in Houston.

Last edited:

gt500dude

Established Member
I have the same system on my 08,but with no cats.Just for fun i had "A Friend" run it on a sniffer and it passed.It never even turned the check engine light on.I also had the same setup on my Lightning with no cats and it passed with no problems.BTW i live in Houston.

Wow awesome, I wonder if I should go with the no-cat setup then? Also I read something about recalibrating the PCM to avoid running lean. Would you be able to do this with one of those handheld SCT X3 tuners?

SLGT750

Established Member
In CO they do a visual test to see if the cats are there. I have the same kit minus headers with highflow cats and passed our emission test no problem. I believe legally you're not supposed to change any of the exaust for so many thousand's of miles or if your stock system fails but I never had any issues with this.

I wanted to say to the guys getting turbo kit they are not emissions legal so check with your state to see if it will fly. Most of the emission techs don't know what to look for so you might be ok if you keep your cats on with the turbo kit in a emission controlling state except for Cali then your screwed:nonono:

Last edited:

gt500dude

Established Member
Wow awesome, I wonder if I should go with the no-cat setup then? Also I read something about recalibrating the PCM to avoid running lean. Would you be able to do this with one of those handheld SCT X3 tuners?

I'm probably gonna go the hi-flow cat setup anyways just in case. Anyone know about this whole PCM recalibration thing though?

gt500dude

Established Member
your best bet would be a custom tune on a dyno. Most tunes compensate
for cat, etc.

I would get it custom tuned but the only dyno shop here in el paso I know of I've heard bad things about. So I'm kinda stuck with the handheld tuner or going to albuquerque or something.

Dave07997S

Established Member
That system is using a metallic subtrate cat, not ceramic which is good. A metallic subtrate cat not only flows better but it is also much more durable.

Dave

Willie2

Established Member
have the same setup on my GT500 with cats, havent had it tested though

BUT, i took the cats off my 04 and it passed the sniffer but the tech failed it after the visual inspection he didnt see any there..

i would say keep the cats, sounds great like that.

the PCM issue...Buy a tuner from John Lund, JLT, Evolution or anyone else and tell them you have headers, and the rest of your mods and they'll figure those in the tune!!

gt500dude

Established Member
have the same setup on my GT500 with cats, havent had it tested though

BUT, i took the cats off my 04 and it passed the sniffer but the tech failed it after the visual inspection he didnt see any there..

i would say keep the cats, sounds great like that.

the PCM issue...Buy a tuner from John Lund, JLT, Evolution or anyone else and tell them you have headers, and the rest of your mods and they'll figure those in the tune!!

Yeah I was planning on buy the whole system plus the SCT tuner from Evolution. Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread