Bassani question

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Does just changing the exhaust in a 03 Cobra require a new computer chip to run properly? Does that have an affect on the A/F ratio. Thanks in advance. :shrug:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
a chip is not necessary for just exhaust or air filter changes. although it wouldn't hurt either (except for that warrenty stuff).

:beer:

Weasel

Established Member
I've never checked my A/F, but my understanding is that a chip is not required when just changing the exhaust. I've had my Bassani system on since July and haven't had a problem and have heard of no others having a problem. But you will feel a SOTP and real HP increase.
Others here can comment on chip; I don't have one installed.

Mike

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
No chip is required, but I'm sure that one couldn't hurt...assuming that a kickass tuner with a wideband O2 sensor was programming. Most people just put the exhaust on and fuhgeddaboudit.

FI cars aren't like motorcycles, where if we change pipes the vehicle must be re-jetted. There's some airflow difference, but not enough where the FI can't compensate.

You didn't mention catback, X pipe, headers, combinations of 2, or all three...?

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Just the x-pipe right now. Will do a cat back little later. No plans for any major stuff until the warranty goes out. I just don't want to get stuck with a big bill if something goes wrong.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Along that vein, I've read some discussions where dealers will give the owner some grief with an installed chip. If you're concerned about warranty issues stay out of the PCM until your warranty period is over...IMHO.

OverToad

Established Member
Along that vein, I've read some discussions where dealers will give the owner some grief with an installed chip.

That's putting it kindly ;-)

I've taken my 03 to every dealership in Austin, and to a man they've told me that without reservation or discussion, they'll void my warranty for any "chipping" of the car.

Should our Cobra's be custom tuned? Yes.
Will Ford allow our warranties to remain intact? With a chip, your far less than 50/50.........

key2you

Established Member
Question- If you were to take the chip out before any warranty work can the dealership find out, when they check your pcm, that you had a chip installed?

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
well here's my 2 cents. I'm underthe understanding when doing any mod including CAI exhaust or what ever all you have to do is during the installation dis connect the negative battery terminal which cuts power to the PCM . ya know the computer thing and after you reconnect the computer re-learns all the air fuel settings and such and it basically takes care of itself. No chip needed.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
I have a friend who was a Ford tech he claims that yes they can tell the chip leaves an image in the resident memory on your PCM and they can tell. Sounds reasonable to me. So I will wait till I'm outta warranty before I chip mine.

OverToad

Established Member
Question- If you were to take the chip out before any warranty work can the dealership find out, when they check your pcm, that you had a chip installed?

Cactus said it all.

I spent all day Thursday going from dealership to dealership hoping to find someone who would allow to hop up my Cobra.

First off, when you install a new chip, you have to scrape off the sealer (?) on the connectors. It's a dead giveaway that you've chipped your car. Furthermore, Everything is recorded in the PCM, so even if you put the old chip back, it's recorded in the PCM.

The reccomendation I got was to throw down the $$$$ for a brand new PCM, and simply (simply?!?!) swap that out before you return the car for warranty work.

This seems to only be an option if:
A: You can do all this yourself, or
B: You know someone who can do it cheaply.

Since Ford is in deep trouble $$$$$$-wise, they have stepped up the inspections before they OK warranty work.

You must choose wisely ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread