Bassani o/r x-pipe + Flowmaster rattle?

imsuperman

Established Member
I just bought an 03 cobra and it already came with the x-pipe and 2 chambered flowmasters. There is this rattling sound when you press the gas. Sounds like a loose flange but the exhaust shop can't find any problems with it. He said it could be a broken chamber in one of the mufflers. I was thinking I would just replace the cat back with Magnaflows? Is this a good idea? Thanks.

imsuperman

Established Member
I do like the deep sound of flowmasters but that rattle is annoying. Can people here you coming with the Maganflows?

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
that rattling is the combo of the xpipe with the flowmasters. not exactly a great combo on the Cobra. i bought the flowmaster catback when i first got my car, added the VRS off road X and it had this horrible rattling sound around 3000 rpm, sounded almost like a heat shield (even though there were none) was rattlling. drove me crazy and i wasn't too happy with the sound. bought a MAC off road H, rattling went away and it sounded perfect. nice deep flowmaster rumble. and don't start the "this muffler is better than flowmaster" crap, its all just personal preference in sound. i will put up my flowmaster car against any equally modded magnaflow or whatever muffler any day at any track, and I am not going by some stupid flow numbers or dyno numbers i am going by REAL track numbers.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by ReducedFat
Magnaflow>Flowmaster by a million times. Go for the maggie, you'll be happy.

I have never heard a Cobra that sounded good with Magnaflows :xpl:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I had a flowmaster catback combined with an off road x-pipe and I thought that was the worst sounding exhaust I had ever heard. I know exactly what you are talking about concerning the rattling sound. I could not take it any longer and got a magnaflow. I would have kept the flowmaster if I had an h-pipe.

Exhaust sound is the most personal thing there is on your car. You have to listen to it all day and night. My suggestion is:

flowmaster/chambered muffler w/h-pipe

flow through design with/x-pipe or h-pipe

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I'm running a FlowMaster cat-back with a catted Bassani X. I love it. Sounds better than my 5.0 with FlowMasters and an offroad H. No rattle here.....

I'm so totally with Juiced-03....I had the Magnaflows on my car and hated the sound. I tried both the offroad Bassani X and the catted Bassani X. Both made me want to :xpl: That's when I went with Flowmaster! :thumbsup:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya I love the sound of flows with an X pipe. I tried Magnaflow, Dynomax, and now I am running Bassani. I know I will end up going back to Flowmaster :)

imsuperman

Established Member
The sound is nice but the rattle is annoying. I will either get a Mac H-pipe and keep the flows or leave the X-pipe and put on Magnaflows. Haven't decided yet.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I have never like flowmasters, HOWEVER, I heard a 03 with a off road x and the flows cat back and that thing rocked! ALMOST made me buy that combo, almost.

Satin03

Established Member
JadeAT,

I personally like the sound of the o/r X and Flows. I too have the VRS o/r X and Flowmasters and love the sound. I consistently get good comments on it wherever I go. Before the X, I had the MAC o/r H and actualy switched to the X. I definately get less cruising drone with the X than I did with the H. I think someone said it best.....it is simply a matter of personal preference.

I will say that the cheapest I found my MAC o/r H was at Laurel Mountain Mustang in PA. They have them for $119.00.

www.laurelmountainmustang.com

Good Luck!

Mike

imsuperman

Established Member
Well, did yours rattle like a loose heatshield? The sound is nice but the rattle is annoying. Do you think a baffle is broken in the muffler or is that rattle normal?

Satin03

Established Member
Originally posted by JadeAT
Well, did yours rattle like a loose heatshield? The sound is nice but the rattle is annoying. Do you think a baffle is broken in the muffler or is that rattle normal?

JadeAT,

I can't say that I have actually heard a rattling sound or anything that resembles one. I will pay closer attention tomorrow and let you know. It's really hard to say what you have if I can't actually hear it. I will get back to you though.

Juiced-03,

Love the Saleen wheels on your ride. Looks killer. Was it you on another post looking to switch back to 17's.....big mistake IMO. I'm sure you have your reasons but the ride looks killer as is!

Mike

Satin03

Established Member
Originally posted by JadeAT

Well, after driving it today it seems as though there is a sound that may resemble a rattling sound. It doesn't last long climbing through the RPM's at a normal accelerating rate....and it is very subtle on my car. I probably wouldn't have noticed it before. However, I will say that this set-up appears to very hit and miss when it comes to opinions. My friend had this same set-up on his 01 Cobra and had the same problems you had. He couldn't stand it any longer, got rid of it for an H....he is now much happier. I would probably sum this up by saying that your situation is normal, no likely mechanical defects in your exhaust, just simply a matter of whether you are willing to deal with it or not. As I said before, it is difficult to say exactly what you have wrong if anything, but if you are in doubt, you may want to have it looked at. Good luck to ya!

imsuperman

Established Member
Thanks, I checked out Laurel Mountain Mustang and saw 2 different Mac H-pipes. Long tube or shorty. Not sure which one need. I have stock headers.

1999-03 GT & Cobra, Aluminized H-Shorty E9699 $119.00 or
1999-03 GT & Cobra,2 1/2" Long Tube H-Pipe TF9699 $159.95

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
First one - for shorty (stock style headers, or aftermarket shorties) I to ad flows and a BBK x on my GT and it was wicked nascar, I loved it and everyone was like HOLY SHIT that thing sounds nuts. Drive with it for a bit and peoples reactions will make you want to keep it on there. :beer:

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread