Bassani midlength headers question.

flyingbrian1

Established Member
I have my 99 Cobra motor out of my car and I wanted to know if a can put the headers on before I put the motor back in the car. if not what do u think is the best way. I also will be doing this in my driveway.

Thanks Brian

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
YES!! You can!! I just had my motor installed on 99' Cobra yesterday, and we had the Bassani Mid-length headers on before we stabbed the motor in place. The mechanix are simply blown away!! They couldn't beleive it and said they would suggest the Bassani Mid-lengths to all of their stang customers.

dtd01svt

Established Member
UNLESS, your puting the motor back in from the bottom you CAN NOT PUT THE MOTOR BACK IN WITH THE HEADERS ON. I just went through this. From the bottom you're fine, but if you go through the top you can not because you have to disconnect the steering shaft to wrap one of the headers(#3 I think) around the shaft.

TxSnakeCharmer

Established Member
If the steering shaft goes through the header tubes why would it make a difference if the motor was installed from up top or the bottom?

And if the steering shaft is really an issue with the bassani's (like Hookers) I believe you can get a Flaming River steering shaft and install it after the fact as a replacement to the stock shaft.

dtd01svt said:
UNLESS, your puting the motor back in from the bottom you CAN NOT PUT THE MOTOR BACK IN WITH THE HEADERS ON. I just went through this. From the bottom you're fine, but if you go through the top you can not because you have to disconnect the steering shaft to wrap one of the headers(#3 I think) around the shaft.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Okay, I forgot to also mention that the tubes on the passenger side wont go in unless the driversides are off too. My bad. I found the easiest way was to put the pass. side on and then drop the motor in and then put the driverside on.

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
That's weird, I know for sure that my shop had the headers on when they dropped it in. Although, I'm sure that they had to find a way to get the steering shaft in the headers (you are correct dtd01svt, the steering shaft is nestled between the tubes). Perhaps they took off only the header tubes that were behind the steering shaft?)...anyhow, they assured me today that the engine went in Headers on....Hmmmm....this is indeed one to ponder. I am befuddled, bewildered and be danged...LOL..

dtd01svt

Established Member
you are right....I only took off the tubes that went around the header. i left #1 and #14 on. the 2 that need to be worked are #2 and #3.by the way, how does it sound?? and any dyno #'s yet? i cant wait to hear mine. i should get my tune tomorrow

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Answers to lifes questions

Okay, the shop said that they had to unhook the steering shaft and push it back out of the way. Then they threaded it back through the headers....they swear that this was much easier than working on the headers while the engine was in the car.
My Bassanis are hooked to a Bassanni X-Pipe (Catted) and a set of Magnaflow catbacks. They sound Freakin' awesome!! I love it and have received several compliments this weekend at the Mobil One Ford Challenge (St. Louis).

Slowbra01

Established Member
not tryin to hijack the thread but my question concerns the same item, here it goes:
ive decided on getting bassani midlengths and luckily found another forum member selling a set. He sent me some pictures of the headers but to my surprise, it looks as though the headers come "disassembled". It is not all one piece like ive seen in pictures and also in comparison to other brands. Is that how it comes when its brand new (the seller claims it to be brand new). Also, i already have an 0/r x. My question is that ANY x pipe will be ok to use with the bassani's as long as they are modified to fit (meet) correct? I dont necessarily HAVE to use the bassani X?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Ok. They are totally seperate. You assemble them on the motor. Then they have a collar that connects at teh collector. Not any midpipe. Just the bassani Xpipe for midlengths works.

You could, in theory, make your current pipe work but at what cost? You're better off selling your current pipe and buy the bassani piece.

Slowbra01

Established Member
ok that is good to know... i think it will be cheaper for me to have my current x modified to fit than to get a new one.... i might be speaking too soon.. ill update you guys on what happens... may be good info for anyone else who does NOT have the bassani mid x pipes.
Thanks virtual... that saved me a whole lot of doubt. I've never seen that before...

Users who are viewing this thread