Bassani mid-length x pipe part #?

postalbunny

Established Member
Need to replace my mid pipe, it's got a crack running across a welded seam on the "X". I also need something to pass visual inspection (cats). I've been getting lucky the past couple years.

I have Bassani mid-length headers, and the o/r x-pipe currently. After searching around several sites, i can't seem to find the replacement. Only xpipes that fit stock headers (Bassani) or long tubes (other brands).

On lethal, i found two parts for the SS Xpipe + cats. one for "2003" and one for "2004", but I didn't think there was any difference in the two years for our cars. I shot an email to them, to see if they could tell me. Bassani's website only list parts for "04" cobra.

Anyone know the difference in these two packages?

"BAS-46033"
Bassani 2003 Cobra Stainless X-Pipe w/Cats + Off-Road Flow Tubes [BAS-46033] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

"BAS-46033+BAS-BX46033+4604EK"
Bassani 2004 Cobra Composite X-Pipe w/Cats [BAS-BX46033+4604EK] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I'm thinking i can just buy the correct one, and take the short pipe from header-to-xpipe from my existing setup (those pipes are still good) and use them instead to make it fit my mid-length. The rest of the xpipe looks identical (on other sites/pictures) to what I have.

postalbunny

Established Member
If anyone else was looking... i got a response back from lethal saying the only difference in the two models was the 2004 requires o2 extensions. I guess it moves them further back?

Still trying to find the 5 piece mid-pipe that fits my mid-length headers. I'm not sure, but it may be worth going back to stock sized headers. I'm trying to replace the mid-pipe and have it tucked up more... going long tubes probably won't help the situation any.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Ant Bassani mid-pipe will fit with the mid-length headers. All Bassani midpipes come in a five piece construction to allow you to use it with stock manifolds or their mid-length headers. The mid-lengths should have extensions coming off of the collectors to reach the mid-pipe once you take off the tubes going up to the stock manifolds. The midlengths with their mid pipe will give plenty of clearance. I believe with their SS catted x-pipe comes with cat delete tubes. So once you get the visual inspection, you can switch the cats out for straight piping. Not 100% on that but pretty sure. Hope this helps.

postalbunny

Established Member
Just got the same response back from lethal when I asked for clarification... i went and ordered the SS version for 2003.

Hopefully all goes well, i plan to get it tucked up as much as possible and take 'er to the shop to get subframes on, if anything needs to be cut/welded to get it tucked more i can have them help me out.

I'll post some pics here later, in case anyone else stumbles on this thread searching for answers.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Ant Bassani mid-pipe will fit with the mid-length headers. All Bassani midpipes come in a five piece construction to allow you to use it with stock manifolds or their mid-length headers. The mid-lengths should have extensions coming off of the collectors to reach the mid-pipe once you take off the tubes going up to the stock manifolds. The midlengths with their mid pipe will give plenty of clearance. I believe with their SS catted x-pipe comes with cat delete tubes. So once you get the visual inspection, you can switch the cats out for straight piping. Not 100% on that but pretty sure. Hope this helps.

You correct with this...

Any of the SS Bassani mid-pipes will work as the mid-length headers you have come with new down pipes that go from the headers and mate with the X section of their SS mid-pipes.

And to the OP, thanks for the order and the support! :beer:

postalbunny

Established Member
Posting a follow-up... the part # is only for stock manifolds. I was concerned about this, and should have known better. While it was modular enough to "fit" if i used the manifold connectors from my old pipe. I'm glad these were not damaged, and were usable. Although, they were rusted on, and took quite a bit of prying and work. The original x-pipe had cracks on the welds of the actual X pipe.

The joints leak like a sieve though, since i'm going to an exhaust shop anyway to fix the stupid 2.25" connectors on the Borla stinger cat-back exhaust, i'll let them tighten the whole sha-bang up for me. It appears i'm short about 1/2" in the middle of the cat-back, i can't slide all the mid-pieces all the way together and have it fit. The clamps included don't appear to tighten it enough, on a cold start there is visible exhaust coming from before the cat and after it. I have a feeling it has to do with the header connectors i re-used.

Also, for anyone else looking... the Bassani logo is missing on the new pipe. My old one was stamped with a logo. Not a big deal, just figured I'd mention this.

TLDNR: can't find correct model # for mid-pipe for mid-length headers, ordered anyway, didn't fit, made it work with header pieces from old mid-length xpipe.

compared.gif

Also, i have mid-length headers so i'm not sure if this is correct... but one side of the new pipe's connection to the stock header looked very odd. (pic)

pipeends.gif

postalbunny

Established Member
+also, I'm glad i got a model with swap-able flow tubes. The CATs make it legal, but i liked the o/f x-pipe sound way better. I'll give it a few weeks to settle down after the leaks are fixed, but I have a feeling I'll be putting the flow tubes back in.

Users who are viewing this thread