Bassani Mid Lenght Headers - Nightmare! Leaking

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
I have dug up a few old posts on these but they all seemed pretty old so wanted to see if anyone since has ran into similar issues with these headers.

Having a performance shop currently trying to install the Bassani Headers on my 02 Saleen and they keep having leaking problems on the passenger side.
Bassani has already sent repelacement headers for that side and the installer said those leaked too. Also have used the gasket inserts recommended by Bassani and they thought that did the trick, but after dyno'ing and testing the car on the street they started leaking again under WOT.

Anyone have similar experience with these and did you find a long term solution? The only thing I can think of to suggest would b doubling up OEM gaskets on that side? I dont think they have tried that yet but they may have. I am real close to just having them taken off, sent back, scrapping my Bassani X-pipe, and ordering a whole new set of headers and pipe from someone else. Cause I feel even if they do get it, it will only be a matter of time before they start leaking again.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Josh

Whistler98

Established Member
I have been thinking of getting the Bassani Mid Lengths. Let us know if you get them to stop leaking or find anything out. Maybe I should research them alittle. I love my bassani exhaust.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
Yea I love the midpipe sound with my Borla exhaust so I am really hoping they can get these to seal up.

The installers are having trouble with the 2nd to last cylinder on the passenger side ( or 3rd one from the front of the car ) It keeps leaking and blowing out at the flange/head. They claim that if you follow the directions and tighten everythign at the collector first, it leaves too large of a gap at the head when you tighten everything down. ( Said they checked flange and it is flat) Just the way the bends are its bound up.

So they torqued at the heads first, then forced into the collector and thought they had it using the Bassani Gasket inserts #4654. It dyno'd ( and put down 460 btw ) but then on the final road test it blew out that gasket under boost load.

So we are back to square one again. Getting some other gaskets from Bassani today they say should work. I dont understand what is so hard about getting these thigns to seal. Heard from other installers they have NEVER had this issue.

I am wondering if they should try using the Bassani gasket inserts, WITH the stock oem gaskets? What about the extra thick Remflex Gaskets? Or could the header bolts be too long and they just arent pulling the flanges down enough? All I can come up with at this point. Should know more today. I'll post results.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
I suggested the same thing, installer says # 1 NO NO is doubling up gaskets. Says leaks between gaskest then, doesnt seal properly.

2ndly, called Remflex yesterday and they couldnt even tell me which Gasket I needed for my application. There are 2 part #'s for 99-04 2V engines. Part # 3022 & 3025. Ones 1-9/16 opening and other is 1-5/8. Bassani was sending "their preferred gaskets overnight for today" so we'll see what we got. ( None came with headers for some reason )

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Use OEM + Remflex gaskets.

Love my headers..

The trick is when installing the header's use copper rtv w/ the remflex gaskets. let them sit overnight so the rtv dries up perfectly and then install the header's first, then all extension piece's next... :beer:

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
as of this morning they said they got it. Used gaskets sent to them by Bassani, by thier description sounds like the Reflex ones. Pick it up next week. Hopefully she's sealed for good and I dont have chronic leaking problem.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
it was on a lift, engine in car. Yea they dropped the K member and starter. not sure what else had to come off. Got the car back tuesday, so we'll see how long before it starts ticking haha.. but hopefully they got it. After a bunch of monkey'in around the finaly got composite extra thick gaskets ( I am assuming Remflex but nobody at installer seemed to know the brand ) and that did the trick. Car sounds freakin awesome. I plan on making some vid clips this weekend so I 'll try to post up for anyone intersted in Bassani header/x pipe/Borla Catback sound on new edge car.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
its Bassani Mid length headers 4602VC, the Midpipe is the 3 pc Modular Off- Road ( Catless) Bassani X-pipe. The rest of the exhaust is a Borla system that Saleen used on the 2002 Saleens. I do not have the actual part # from them but I know they are not Stingers. I will post 2 youtube vids below that I shot on my phone so the quality isnt the greatest but will give you an idea of the idle sound and launch. Check em out.

Cam idle - YouTube

Headers - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread