Bassani headers going on monday... Do I need any special parts?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Just curious if I need any special gaskets or header bolts or anything else like that for install. Get this thing on right the first time so it dont leak.

Already have walker clamps for either side of cat.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
Have a fresh set of gaskets ready. Have someone with small hands to help get the bolts and nuts going in the tight places.
I suggest you do not change the studs. Go with the ones already installed. Drink a lot of fluids and take plenty of aspirin. You hands will ache after the install.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
What he said,
plus plan on the entire weekend. It is at least 10 hours on jackstands, a little less on a lift.
Test assemble all the pipes into the collectors before putting them in the car. Use never sieze on them.

Hopefully you won't get offended as someone else did when I told them: jack up one side of the engine at a time and DON'T use the center of the oil pan, use the rail under the crank pulley.

The pass side motor mount has to be pulled out completely, the driver's side can just be moved over after unbolting.
Get new oil and new filter. You have to drop the filter during the install, might as well change the oil too.

This job is second only to the IRS bushings.
Good luck,

Dana

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Hopefully you won't get offended as someone else did when I told them: jack up one side of the engine at a time and DON'T use the center of the oil pan, use the rail under the crank pulley.
Dan, I wasn't offended. It was more of a joking statement. How were you supposed to know what I already knew?

Hopefully I didn't offend you by having it seem like I was offended. . . . . . wait, does that make sense? :)

Its all good Dan. If its any consilation you can come by and watch me and my buddies curse each other out while installing the LTs.

Its going to be fun :lol1: :kaboom:

Hank

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Hank,

N/P :)

Thank you for the invitation, but I will take a pass.
Watching another install would be a painful experience. HA! HA!

Believe it or not, doing a clutch in one of these is 10 times easier than the header install.
I guess that's a good thing?!?
Dan

hj16

Established Member
Believe it or not, doing a clutch in one of these is 10 times easier than the header install.
What about Halfshafts? I might have to stockpile some for next year. :burnout:

hj16

Established Member
Do a solid axle instead.

Dan
You know, its tempting. But with the built IRS systems coming out I might want to go that route instead, considering both are around 2,000.

I'm not tying to build a full on drag car here Dan. Just something faster than Tim's :-D

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Hank,
You can rebuild the IRS all you want, I think there will still be problems with wheel hop, at least under certain conditions. With the new parts, it will, hopefully, just be more resistant to damage from it. And you will still have the aluminum center section, another very weak point.
I understand it's not a trade off everyone will want to make, and it is also like a step backwards in the road handling for these cars, but for the strip, it's the only answer.
Tim may have a little surprise for you over the winter...

Fakesnake,
The gaskets we referred to are the gaskets between the head and the header flanges. They are not supplied. The original ones are metal and would probably still be in good condition, but for the few dollars they cost, I installed new ones with the headers.

Dana

03MUSTANGSVT

Established Member
Bassani mid lenght headers are a waste of money. Plan on losing some power once they are on. They make a difference if you have a KB, but as for now spend your money on something else.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I don't know if I would consider the Bassani headers a waste of money (actually all headers for the matter), but they would be way down my list of mods. The stock Ford manifolds and H-pipe are not all that bad.
If you have plans of increasing the boost/air flow significantly, then they should produce some gains. And I don't mean just a pulley swap.
I mean something like the KB or Works or ProCharger, maybe even a modified Eaton, and in my case the Works.
They then become part of the larger picture and eventually pay off.

Dana

hj16

Established Member
Hank,
You can rebuild the IRS all you want, I think there will still be problems with wheel hop, at least under certain conditions. With the new parts, it will, hopefully, just be more resistant to damage from it. And you will still have the aluminum center section, another very weak point.
I understand it's not a trade off everyone will want to make, and it is also like a step backwards in the road handling for these cars, but for the strip, it's the only answer
Very true Dan. Its going to be something that I'll have to think long and hard over winter. How much were the weight savings again?

Tim may have a little surprise for you over the winter...
I may have one too. I'm just not sure if I want to drop 7K into this thing this winter :shrug:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Next spring sounds like it's going to be fun, guys.

Dan,
You worry me with your talk of the IRS bushings being a b!tch. They're on my long term plan. Incidentally, I was cruising on a very bumpy road today about 70mph and I do appreciate the IRS for this type of driving. When is the Works coming out? Still November?

Hank,
I'll believe it when I see it... :p Are you coming in town for the holidays? John's talking about a meeting soon.

Edit: Hank, I didn't mean to imply that you don't do what you say. I was having fun with the friendly competition between our group and I apologize if it sounded that way.

Cliff :)

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Hank,
Weight savings is around 125 pounds.
I had hoped for more, but that looks like all there is.

Cliff,
Yes, last I heard was November, probably after the SEMA show.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread