Bassani header help

black_on_black

Got Boost?
Established Member
Has anyone else had as many problems with their header gaskets as I have. The bassani gaskets blow ass..... I think my first whent out within 100 miles.

So to fix the problem, I did some research and found that people were using the Bassani gaskets and using the stock gasket. So I tried this out. Well it has worked pretty good, but it is coming back to haunt me again.

What is the BEST way to keep these damn things from leaking? It is always at the gasket. Never anywhere else.

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
I used the Bassani gasket along with the factory gasket with the factory bolts/studs....whatever you call them. Worked so far...(knock on wood)...

F8L SN8K

Established Member
LOL. Buy a set of KOOKs LTs. Not helping I know. My cobra in in the air right now on jackstands dropping the K-member and replacing the gaskets on my bassani Mid-lengths. I'm short on cash right now or else I'd buy the KOOKs. If someone has a sure fire way please speak up as my is going back together on friday.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
bassani gaskets are used for trash can filling, do not use on car. invest in a new set of stock gaskets and follow them up with remflex gaskets for bassani headers and all your dreams of leak free headers will come true
FORD Header/Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Some of the stuff I read before didn't make mention of using stock gaskets as well...so I wasn't planning on using mine. Is that really required to get the leak free dream? I already have the remfex sitting in my pile of parts waiting to go on this weekend.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
the remflex is technology from the future. lol
they are not like other gasket materials, the have the ability to rebound from being compressed. they do not just compress from installation and then slowly burn away and expose leaks leading you to mass frustration and beating your head against the wall till blood comes out your eyes. i refuse to remove and replace gaskets on my headers, if i gotta do that i will throw the headers in the field to rust away. now as i was taught i shall teach you, take the NEW stock gasket and apply to studs on motor, next take a remflex gasket and apply some superglue to one corner of remflex gasket and stick it into header tube flange and allow to dry. this will hold it in place while you apply header tube to motor. slather up studs with plenty copper anti-sneeze, i meant anti-seize, dont screw up on this part and get confused like i thought i read anti-sneeze and started putting this stuff up my nose. i used somewhere in the 25lb. torque range for nuts on studs, i didn't use a torque wrench for this step, dont feel it necessary, i've turned so many damn nuts sometimes feel is better than torque wrench, i did not use bolts, dont feel like it and its not necessary. i dont have leaks, never had any leaks, if i get leaks i wll replace headers with another brand and not continue with my present headers

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
I already have the locking header bolts sitting next to the headers and gaskets, so I'll be using those. May have to look at using my stock gaskets...we shall see.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
Just installed my headers today. Had to clearance the passenger side motor mount to get them to fit without rubbing. I also need check a little closer to see if they are rubbing the k-member on that side, but it was getting dark and I couldn't tell for sure.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
when i did the headers i pulled the motor mounts out and put solid mounts.
motor movement can have an effect to cause header leaks also, didn't want to take any chances. i dont think the poly mounts are any better to control movement than the stock mounts on the cobra.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
Well, if I have too much issue with leaking I'm just going to sell them. I'm only into them about $150 including the H pipe that came with them since i bought them used.

JymBart

Established Member
No Leaks

I have the full Bassani system, ...... used a new set of the stock gaskets and Stage 8 fastners and bolts, ................no leaks.

JymBart

fendawg12

Established Member
i talked to the guy who works on my car at walsh motorsports and he said that bassani mid lengths are total garbage and you should prolly change them now and spend the money cuz you'll be reparing them for as long as you have your car. he said he's seen so many problems with them that if i wanted them on my car i would have to have another shop put them on for me. their expensive but kooks are the best he said

Rev Happy

Established Member
Overall, they are nice headers...

Is it just one side that's leaking? How old are the headers? Bassani did have a bad run of headers where the #7 primary was too short and would cause a leak... You could either run the Bassani gasket along w/ a stock steel, or have them send you a new primary and flange free of charge. Also, since they are of a paper material, they will easily blow out if a bolt loosens just the slightest. With that being said, I have the Bassanis on my Cobra and just run the Bassani square gaskets without any leak problems. Didn't use stage 8s, but I did use loc-lite on the bolts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread