Bassani catted x-pipe + Borla cb noise issue

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I have the "quiet" Borla cat-back and everything was great until I installed the bassani catted x-pipe and now have developed a drone noise around 2200 rpm. I'm going to try some insulation on the floor and trunk floor to reduce this. Does any one have any sugestions on how to eliminate / reduce this noise? Would wrapping the x-pipe section with exhaust wrap help? Replacing the x-pipe or cat-back is not an option because the car sounds way to good outside. My car is a vert so I can only do so much noise-insulation. Any ideas?

03Gunner

Established Member
Well I have a simlar setup and have no problems, it's loud inside the car when accelerating but I like it like that.

If you are looking for sound proofing material, Sound Design carries a foil type sound proofing material you could probably add under the carpet, there is also another type of heavy rubber type material used for sound proofing you can find on the internet comes in4 X 8 foot sheets.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Thank you for the advice. I am currently installing a semi-light weight dense foam/foil backed sound proofing material. I have completely covered the trunk floor and floor in the passenger compartment under the carpet along with the transmission tunnel. Just have the rear wheel wells and under the rear seat to go. I thought about stuff like dynamat, etc but the weight factor was a concern. These cars are heavy enough without 200 lbs of sound proofing.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Well, the sound proofing material helped but it could still be better. Any ideas? It is not the exhaust volume that is bothering me but just that droning that occurs around 2200rpm. You know, that low level hum that makes your head hurt..

bigmoose

Established Member
i have the same X pipe but with a MAC 2.5" catback. i have the same problem. i either change gears or speed up to get out of that range.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
ha, you can't have everything man, good sound and no drone, I know of very few altered exhaust systems that do not drone at some rpm level.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I wouldn't mind it so much if it made this super annoying noise at some other rpm rather than the one everybody seems to want to cruise at on the freeway. I just came back from a road trip and something has got to go. I don't give a crap how good it sounds. This actually hurts my ears and head after about 30 minutes. Thinking the bassani needs to go but will do a little research before I make the final decision. What exactly is causing the noise? Is it the extra noise and exhaust flow making it to the mufflers or is it the chamber like design of the bassani x-pipe ?

SLPRCTM

Established Member
How ironic. My road trip was just from your area. My inlaws live in Salinas. I have determined that it is the muflers themselves that give off the drone noise. The x-pipe just lets more exhaust notes throught to the mufflers and they will only remove certain frequencies and amount of noise. I am going to try some different muflers first. I will cut out my Borla's and install a set of Corsa db red mufflers. They are specifically designed to severly reduced or even eliminate the drone. If that doesn't work enough, the next step will be to replace the bassani with an H pipe though from what I have read on here and many other places, this should work.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I just listened to a few soundclips of the Corsa's and they sound awesome. I'm still skeptical that you won't have some drone though with the Bassani X. I also saw in a thread that the mufflers are $240 a piece, yikes! I'd drive up to Pacifica to hear it if you decide to go with them. I'm thinking of changing my setup also. I was going to swap to Flowmast super44's but I also have a Steeda catback in my attic that I could put the Corsa's on if I wanted to.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
You are more than welcome to come check out the Corsa's if you like once I weld them one or I can just let you know next time I'm in Salinas to save you the drive. I actually found the Corsa mufflers for $162 a piece and have already ordered a set of two. I drove the car around and tryed to find what direction the noise was coming from and it sounded like it was coming from the area where the top goes down. I have already removed the entire interior and installed sound material from firewall to tail-light along with a double layer under the rear seats above the mufflers. It made a pretty good difference but did not affect the drone as much as I was hoping. The noise bothers me a lot but even worse, makes my wife feel sick. I tiny bit of drone is O.K. but right now it is bad. The car had flowmaster mufflers on the stock pipes when I bought it and those hit the garbage the first week because of drone noise and I think it is just as bad if not slightly worse with this current setup. I guess only time will tell. I will chime back in and let everyone know how it goes once I get them and weld them on.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Cool, I'd love to hear how it sounds.
I'll shoot you a PM with my info. so you can stop by if you are going to Salinas.
Thanks,
Evan

Users who are viewing this thread