Bassani catback question

graveyard

Established Member

Got a bassani catback put on today,done it myself, it dont sound to bad i kinda like it my question is if i dont go with the high flow cats and x pipe which i have also buy not put on yet will i lose much horsepower by not putting the x on?I know it sounds better with the x pipe with cats but i was wondering about power and TQ lose.I think i read somewere that most of your HP is gained through the catback not for sure.Anyway give me a few tips guys and some info of anykind,i know sound is preference different people like different sound but i wonder if performance will be lost if i dont go with the rest of the x pipe,because i am going to have me car ported,pullied and a sct tune within the next few weeks.
Give me some info guys.:rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you refering highflow x pipe vs stock oem midpipe? If thats the case get the stock one off asap. I have the bassani mid and catback and like it. A good high flowing midpipe will also provide more torque.

graveyard

Established Member
I guess i will put the bassani x with the high flow cats on in a few days,you think it will be alright to run it a day or two till i get it on,dont belive it will hurt nothing will it? I have the bassani cat back on now with the factory H pipe.:beer:

moonltgold

Power is in the catback NOT the midpipe. I've had two Cobras with five different catbacks and five different mid pipes and a dozen dynoes to confirm this. Back to the H: If you are talking about the stock H, it is great for torque, and you will not lose any TQ over the Bassani X. The H is somewhat quieter, although you will have a wicked old school sound (growl) at 4,000 rpm -- try it in a covered parking area and listen for all the car alarms to go off! Neat. But back to the X -- it starts to howl (vs. the H's growl) at about 3,000 rpm all the way up. HP with the X is a little more over 5,000 rpm, but very little torque; again -- only way up top. Enjoy the Bassani catback -- an excellent piece.

graveyard

Established Member
Power is in the catback NOT the midpipe. I've had two Cobras with five different catbacks and five different mid pipes and a dozen dynoes to confirm this. Back to the H: If you are talking about the stock H, it is great for torque, and you will not lose any TQ over the Bassani X. The H is somewhat quieter, although you will have a wicked old school sound (growl) at 4,000 rpm -- try it in a covered parking area and listen for all the car alarms to go off! Neat. But back to the X -- it starts to howl (vs. the H's growl) at about 3,000 rpm all the way up. HP with the X is a little more over 5,000 rpm, but very little torque; again -- only way up top. Enjoy the Bassani catback -- an excellent piece.

What do you mean by growl? can you elaberate some on this.Will it have a drown at a certain RPM also with the factory H?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

R U serious. So theres NO advantage to running a highflow catted x pipe? I highly doubt I would have hit 480 ft-lbs if I was running a stock midpipe. Lets see 4 cats over 2 highflowing ones. I would think the aftermarket one would flow better.

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
I have full bassani on mine. headers back to tailpipes.I could tell the difference with the x pipe but what really makes the difference is the headers. So much more midrange torqe.Of coarse i have no cats either.I have a set of bassani down pipes i do not need anymore as they were not nescessary when i put the headers on.GOES FROM STOCK MANIFOLDS TO XPIPE OR CATS NOT SURE I DID NOT PUT THEM ON. bUT I CAN FIND OUT 4 SURE TOMMOROW IF U ARE INTERESTED.If u go full bassani at 1 point u will need them.

moonltgold

R U serious. So theres NO advantage to running a highflow catted x pipe? I highly doubt I would have hit 480 ft-lbs if I was running a stock midpipe. Lets see 4 cats over 2 highflowing ones. I would think the aftermarket one would flow better.

Yup. Logic would say otherwise, but the only difference I ever saw was about 5 hp after 8 years of doing them. The catbacks always gave anywhere from 15-22 rwhp gain, (with Bassani and Magnaflow at the top of that range [at high rpm], and Flowmasters towards the bottom of that range. I used five different dynoes (Mustang, DynoJet and DynoPac), and same overall results within a few hp and torque of each other. I think this is a modular Ford engine thing, because I have seen small block Chevies much more effected by these changes, especially in the header department.

Users who are viewing this thread