Basic Training..

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I have a close friend who's gonna be starting basic training soon (Air Force), and was wondering if any of the Soldiers on here have any words of advice for him. He wants to do very well and he's really nervous. Basic will be in San Antonio Texas, and the tech school will be at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi Mississippi, just in case anyone here has any experience there.

A big thanks to all who serve! :rockon:

5150Z28

Established Member
From what I've heard Air Force boot camp is not all that difficult. Your buddy shouldn't have much trouble getting thru it if he's in somewhat decent shape.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Listen, learn and do as your told. Don't be a hero and just get lost in the crowd. If told to do something, then do it.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Well, he'll be gone for 9 weeks and will get nearly identical training to what the Army currently receives, including everything from convoys, hand to hand combat, small arms and Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare (NBC for short). The best way to keep out of trouble in basic training is to keep your mouth SHUT. Only speak when spoken to, or when required to sound off. The best thing to get a jump start on basic training it to learn reporting statements and the Air Force rank structure. A reporting statement is a statement that is used prior to saying ANYTHING to an instructor. It is as follows: "Sir/Ma'am, trainee XXXXXXX reports as ordered". It is said, word for word like that and not one letter different.

The enlisted rank structure looks like this:
E-1, Airmen Basic "AB", no stripes
E-2, Airmen "Amn", chevron of 1 stripe
E-3, Airmen First Class "A1C", chevron of 2 stripes
E-4, Senior Airmen "SrA", chevron of 3 stripes
E-5, Staff Sergeant "SSgt", chevron of 4 stripes
E-6, Technical Sergeant "TSgt", chevron of 5 stripes
E-7, Master Sergeant "MSgt", chevron of 6 stripes with 1 inverted
E-8, Senior Master Sergeant "SMSgt", chevron of 7 stripes with 2 inverted
E-9, Chief Master Sergeant "CMSgt", chevron of 8 stripes with 3 inverted
*A First Sergeant is any Senior Non-Commissioned (SNCO = E-7 through E-9) and is designated with a diamond in the middle of the chevron
*A Command Chief Master Sergeant is a Chief Master Sergeant designated with an additional star in the middle of the chevron.

The officer rank structure is as follows:
O-1, 2nd Lieutenant "2Lt", one gold bar
O-2, 1st Lieutenant "1Lt", one silver bar
O-3, Captain "Capt", two silver bars connected
O-4, Major "Maj", one gold oak leaf
O-5, Lieutenant Colonel "Lt Col", one silver oak leaf
O-6, Colonel "Col", an Eagle grasping arrows in its feet
O-7, Brigadier General "Brig Gen", one silver star
O-8, Major General "Maj Gen", two silver stars
O-9, Lieutenant General "Lt Gen", three silver stars
O-10, General "Gen", four silver stars

Within the first week of training, they'll ask for volunteers for special duties around the barracks. Tell him to lay low and not to volunteer for anything. Especially, chow running (that's what I was). As long as he’s physically fit, he’ll be okay. The gas chamber sucks, but there is no way around that. Basically, just do what he’s told and he’ll be good. Also, don’t try to do anything sneaky at training. You will be caught and recycled. The instructors know every hiding spot in the book.

Hope this helps!

P.S. if he hopes on getting stationed where he wants to, tell him to kiss that goal goodbye. The Air Force puts you where they need you and not where you want to go. Regardless of what the recruiter says... I know it's pessimistic; unfortunately it's the truth.

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
xilix said:
That helps a lot! Thanks for the great advice.

;-)

I can't stress enough how much I would have taken the time to learn reporting statements and rank structure prior to going into training. If he learns this prior to boot camp, he'll have on helluva jump start on his fellow Airmen and training will be a breeze for him. :beer:

P.S. Tell him to get a damn good nights sleep before he ships out. It'll be the last full night of sleep he'll get for 9 weeks! Sleep deprevation during training was the most difficult thing for me...

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I heard new Air Force guys only go to basic for a couple days, then get to go to their units.

:poke:

...and learn the rank structure beforehand, definitely good advice. Blend in, do what your told, especially when it sucks. Remember, it's only a few days. :-D

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
5150Z28 said:
From what I've heard Air Force boot camp is not all that difficult. Your buddy shouldn't have much trouble getting thru it if he's in somewhat decent shape.

+1

Riddla

Established Member
Duende said:
I heard new Air Force guys only go to basic for a couple days, then get to go to their units.

:poke:

...and learn the rank structure beforehand, definitely good advice. Blend in, do what your told, especially when it sucks. Remember, it's only a few days. :-D

:lol:

203Cree

Established Member
Never volunteer for anything. Also never do anything that makes you stand out. The lower you are on the radar, the better off you'll be.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Ripper said:
Air Force Basic Training I thought was only 6 weeks? Is it 9 weeks now?

Yes, it's 9 weeks now. The best part about it is that the Jar-head Army grunts can't complain about Air Force basic training being shorter then theirs. Ya' know... for how "tough" the Army is supposed to be, they sure do piss and moan a lot about the "inferior Chair Force". :whine:

Riddla

Established Member
Sapperstang said:
Air Force basic? I don't think he will have any problems.

+100.....although some Army BCT includes your ATI at the same time....I.E my total basic was 14weeks and that doesnt take the time I was on hold

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
Due to the Air Force's role in convoys, fuel operations etc in the areas of operation the senior leadership decided it is nessecary to lengthen basic to accomadate the training needed to survive. The Army is really hurting for people and the AF is picking up many of the non combat ground operations.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I am a Sgt, in the USMC. All I have to say is it's jsut a mind game. He'll know what I mean when/if the situation arises. I am not all that sure how tuff A/F Bootcamp is, but tell him not to worry about the phyisical part, that's easy, and they build you up. The hardest part for most is being away from what they are acustomed to, and being told what to do. Just have a sound mind, and he'll be fine.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
203Cree said:
Never volunteer for anything. Also never do anything that makes you stand out. The lower you are on the radar, the better off you'll be.

This is great advice! NEVER, NEVER Volunteer...................

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
SGT in the Army here stationed at Ft. Riley, KS. +1 for the mind game thing. AF basic may be 9 weeks now but you still can't compare it to Army and Marine basic training. We're just held to a higher standard. If you ever go to a Ft. or Base where Army and AF is at you will know what I am talking about. Tell him to just keep his mouth shut and do what he is told. Airborne All the Way, HOOOOAHH

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
He won't have any problems. I'm ex-AF and it was the best thing I ever did. Great advice in this thread. What's he going to Tech School for? I went to Tech School at Keesler and ended up getting stationed there. It wasn't that bad a place. Just do what your told, learn your job, get out in 4 years and make $100K+ just like the rest of us do... :banana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread