Basic question re MAF wire?

frank3si

Established Member
So last weekend I took apart the air induction section of my '03 to install a K&N. No problems, but since this was my first time poking around in there I was checking out the lay of the land. One thing I did not notice was the following: several people have mentioned using Radio Shack electronics contact cleaner (or similar products) about once every six months or so due to oil accumulation from the K&N filter. Obviously I saw the MAF, but I did not notice exactly where the sensor wiring was. Can anybody give me a hint? Also, what do you do with the cleaner - just spray it on and let it dry naturally? Any precautions other than the obvious one not to touch the wire? Thanks -

Frank

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
look through the opening where the air flows insode the MAF, that occasionally needs cleaning, its delicate so be carefull.

jshen

Established Member
Sensor unit

If you do this, the directions I got were 1) disconnect neg battery cable. 2) unplug both electric connections to the MAF unit 3) unbolt the four screws that attach MAF body to air filter housing....and the screen as well, 4) loosen ring clamp and gently remove MAF body. The sensor part is located under the flat plate with the weird screws however if you look into the MAF body you will see the post and what appears to be two wires between the post. Those wires are the ones you use the electrical contact spray on to clean any oil. Do not touch wires with anything other that the spray. The spray evaporates immediately. CMC-QD electical contact cleaner from Pep Boys...4.99 a can. Reverse process for install. There's plenty of posts on this if you do a search...Good Luck

ALA G8R

Banned
Be careful of the electronic parts cleaner that you select. Some of them at Radio Shack contain lubricants.

Users who are viewing this thread