Basic Electrical Knowledge....Need Electrical Engineer Advice..

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I'm looking for some advice on how to pursue furthering my education. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer but want to expand my skills and learn a little more of the electrical side of things. I think it'll make me more well rounded and help a ton in my current career. I am only about 2 years out of school so I figured it would be good to try and take few classes on the side and maybe see if my employer would be willing to pay for it since we deal so much with electrical systems and software on top of Mechanical Design.

Guess my basic question is, should I just look at General Elec classes @ Comm College or are good online programs that are easy enough to follow that I could gain vast knowledge of how system loads work and generators make power to motors and what not???

Thanks in advance for any help! :beer:

Coiled03

Established Member
If you have a BSME, I'd go for a BSEE. You probably wouldn't have to take too many more courses to pick up another degree.

At least where I went to school, all the engineering programs had very similar classes all the way through sophmore year. In fact, sophmore year was identical for ME, and EE students. Things branched out a little more the last two years, but there was still some overlap. What I'm getting at is that you probably have a good portion of the classes for a BSEE taken care of.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
If you have a BSME, I'd go for a BSEE. You probably wouldn't have to take too many more courses to pick up another degree.

At least where I went to school, all the engineering programs had very similar classes all the way through sophmore year. In fact, sophmore year was identical for ME, and EE students. Things branched out a little more the last two years, but there was still some overlap. What I'm getting at is that you probably have a good portion of the classes for a BSEE taken care of.

Well I have BS in Mech Engineering but it unfortunately is not accredited. I was shocked when I received the position I currently have but the area is the most ideal. I am originally from here so I think that helped me land the job. It's great job and love it and is why interested in broadening my education because we deal so much with both as we build Locomotives from the ground up!

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I was in your same position, I finished with an accredited BSME and then went back for a BSEE. I enjoyed EE and my passion for wireless communications exceeded my love for cars so I went with it. Got involved with some undergrad research in HSDPA and LTE. Took me 6 years for my first degree because I worked full-time and went to school part-time. Another 2 1/2 for the BSEE, but that's because all my credit were accredited. I say attend an accredited university, see if your cores transfer and go for it. Learn all you can, I'm 25 now and I can't decide if I'm going to go to law school or grad school and do more research in the wireless sector. I say go for it since you are already working in the field, just don't rush. There is no need to rush through even if it takes you another 4 years.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I was in your same position, I finished with an accredited BSME and then went back for a BSEE. I enjoyed EE and my passion for wireless communications exceeded my love for cars so I went with it. Got involved with some undergrad research in HSDPA and LTE. Took me 6 years for my first degree because I worked full-time and went to school part-time. Another 2 1/2 for the BSEE, but that's because all my credit were accredited. I say attend an accredited university, see if your cores transfer and go for it. Learn all you can, I'm 25 now and I can't decide if I'm going to go to law school or grad school and do more research in the wireless sector.

wow! impressive. I however don't want to give my job here and am just looking for something I can do on the side or night classes. Closest university is more than an hour away but the there is Comm College just outside of town. I work in fairly small dept and has great potential to advance and move up fairly easy. With that said I'd hate give it up and go to go back to school full time....

Last edited:

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
With what you want to do you will probably need a lab to really get into things so I would look at a local school near you that has some sort of EE program. I personal hated my motors class in school. I am a firmware engineer now which is really fun because it combine software with mechanical but more on the software side of things.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
With what you want to do you will probably need a lab to really get into things so I would look at a local school near you that has some sort of EE program. I personal hated my motors class in school. I am a firmware engineer now which is really fun because it combine software with mechanical but more on the software side of things.

I def think gen software knowledge would be good too because of some of technology we use. I can't go much in detail it very new to the industry and we are one of the only companies that have developed it. I'm gonna call the Comm College on lunch and see if they have general classes I can look into to perhaps get started.

Last edited:

emerica4601

KCCO!
Established Member
You have balls, man. I HATE electrical schematics and write-ups. I took 2 heavy electrical engineering classes in school and didn't like any bit of it.

But cheers to you, for wanting to further your education.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
You have balls, man. I HATE electrical schematics and write-ups. I took 2 heavy electrical engineering classes in school and didn't like any bit of it.

But cheers to you, for wanting to further your education.

Yeah I'll be honest they look boring as ****!!! We have couple people here and it ALL they do is make them damn things! I just want to be able to understand how to read them and have more of understand of what components can work with what in the design process. I love the MECH field and all that I do I just to become well rounded I suppose as was looking for advice to do that....or the easiest approach. I didn't know if it was skill that could be self taught or just what....

Last edited:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Yeah I'll be honest the look boring as ****!!! We have couple people hereand it ALL they do is make them damn things! I just want to be able to understand how to read them and have more of understand of what components can work with what in the design process. I love the MECH field and all that I do I just to become well rounded I suppose as was looking for advice to do that....or the easiest approach. I didn't know if it was skill that could be self taught or just what....

Sounds like getting an associates in electronics technology or the likes is the best way to get started.

PressurEngr

Established Member
I was in a similar situation while pursuing my graduate degree in engineering.
My advice: GET A JOB. Do not put off work to pursue further engineering courses. Engineers without experience are useless no matter how much schooling you have and the company hiring you may even tell you that. Companies care about your experience level, projects you have worked on and successfully completed. Many Companies will pay for you furthering your education while you are employed with them.
Finally, think about this. Every semester or 6 months you delay your work experience you are losing approximatly 25-30k in salary for a starting engineer.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I was in a similar situation while pursuing my graduate degree in engineering.
My advice: GET A JOB. Do not put off work to pursue further engineering courses. Engineers without experience are useless no matter how much schooling you have and the company hiring you may even tell you that. Companies care about your experience level, projects you have worked on and successfully completed. Many Companies will pay for you furthering your education while you are employed with them.
Finally, think about this. Every semester or 6 months you delay your work experience you are losing approximatly 25-30k in salary for a starting engineer.

All valid points. That why I am keeping my job here. I love it and def think it could turn into something long term for sure. I just want to gain more knowledge in other area of the dept to make myself more versatile esp. in times like these when so many layoffs are occurring....

Users who are viewing this thread