Baseball players!! I want to clean up my swing a bit.

Anybody know where I could go or some stuff I could read to clean up my swing a bit. I have always been a good contact hitter, but sometimes I get a bit over anxious and start going for the fences. That leads to massive uppercut swings and popouts a plenty.

I want to get into a hardball league next summer!

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Go to the bookstore. George Brett, Tony Gwynn, a few others have written GREAT books on hitting.

ModMike1572

Established Member
I almost tried out for pro ball a while back so ill give you some quick tips.
Watch the ball all the way through to the bat. While holding the bat in your stance, keep both elbows pointed down.. Pretend there is a glass plate that you can rest your elbows on. Keep the bat exactly 45degrees.
Go to the cage and practice, practice, practice. Great way to help you become a contact hitter. Also, Keep both feet shoulder width apart, pointed slighty inwards. Dont take a huge step, just pick your foot up, and place it down.
Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.
This worked for me back in my playing days. I was a better shortstop than hitter though.

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
In playing all four years in high school, three on varsity, I would say hitting is probably one of the hardest elements to teach in baseball. With so many different types of advice given by different coaches it's easy for players to get lost as to what's important and what's not. In your situation Borat, try using your legs better. Make them work for you. This will help you to use all the power from your legs and hit the ball harder and further more consistently. Balance is one of the most important aspects of your swing. Try to keep the majority of your body weight, in your stance, on the balls of your feet. This helped me to have better balance and stability, which gave me more power to hit the ball with.

Whenever I was on deck, I took swings as if I were at bat. Your at bat really begins well before you walk into the batter’s box. Stay relaxed at the plate. Take a deep breath before you walk into the batter’s box and make sure your muscles are relaxed instead of tense. This will help your confidence at the plate.

2003 Silver

Banned
You aren't going to find the answers you need thru the internet....you need to find your own routing at the plate, not someone else's. Batting cage and patience at the plate...

90mustang306

Dead Crawlin
Established Member
Record yourself...let us see it...I'm not kidding..By just talking about it on the internet won't get you far...if we can see it, we'll be able to give you some feedback...plus its always good to see what your doing..

Last edited:

whiteonblackL

Established Member
Record yourself...let us see it...I'm not kidding..By just talking about it on the internet won't get you far...if we can see it, we'll be able to give you some feedback...plus its always good to see what your doing..
+1 so we can see what your swing is lookin like to see what needs to be changed up.........

i'm a senior and ive been starting on var. since i was a fresh. when i go hit i try to make absloutly sure im inside the ball.....like when hitting in the cage stay up the middle or go to the right side, it just helps you stay inside the ball, staying inside makes backspin on the baseball, backspin is your friend in hitting:-D

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
ill tell you what helped me, watch Ken Griffey Jr. hit on video's memorize it and go practice like he hits. That guy has one of the best swings in baseball and seriously helped me out. Also hitting off of a T like highstick44 said, helps a TON, that also got me away from those nasty uppercut swings

Good advice guys. I might throw up a vid next season when I get back into it.

I've actually heard multiple times that hitting wiffle balls off a tee, like stated above, is a good way to get back in sync.

Crazycarl

Established Member
i was just like u... a contact hitter. when i would try to put some power in it i was just popping up.
when i was swinging for power it ended up being my back shoulder. i was dropping it like crazy and not turning over my right arm....watched my self........ took awhile to break the habit but the cage helped and just swinging a bat when bored.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
also something else that helped me out was teaching myself when to swing for the fence or try to hit a deep ball. If it wasnt on the inside or close to the middle so I could swing for the fence, i would put the ball into right field (im a right handed batter), I hit 24 singles, 8 doubles, and 2 triples my senior year and not one was to left or center field. Also I wouldnt swing for the fence during a game unless the ball was absolutely perfect.

What crazycarl said was a problem with myself also, i would drop my shoulder a lot. Hit off a T and you will get rid of that habit

Users who are viewing this thread