Baseball cards

Bionik_P

Established Member
I know back when I was growing up that baseball cards were huge. Then for awhile the market pretty much dropped off the face fo the earth because it was flooded with a billion different card companies. Is it still like that today or has the market made a comeback? The reason I ask is because I unearthed my collection with some cards that I think could be worth something....:shrug:

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
think they are still down, i think the sport of baseball itself is currently down, i also have quite a collection that is just waiting for the market to rekindle.

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
I'm curious also, I have a few boxes of baseball and basketball cards from when I was a kid....It would be interesting to put some value to my old collection

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Can you still buy beckets? I'm 26, and when I was around 9-13 they we're a big part of my life (then I discovered guitar). I still have all of them in storage somehwere. I remember having a 30 some odd dollar Frank Thomas card. It could be worth alot by now.

I'm 23 and used to collect baseball cards when I was a kid, but I stopped for the same reason. Everyone and their brother was making cards.

I only learned this like two weeks ago when I was bouncing around on Wiki, but I guess the MLB folks realized that the market was worthless and flooded and now they only offer the MLB license to 2 baseball card companies if I'm not mistaken.

DBlack1

Established Member
Most are worthless unless graded these days. I went through part of my nicer cards and jordan collection and should be sending some off in the near future for grading. I have quite a few cards that were once "valued" several hundred dollars that go for under $100 on ebay now. I'm sending off a few of my Kobe rookie cards, along with a few shaq cards. I have a 88 fleer all star jordan that could be valued in the 4 figure range if it grades what I think it will. They are really only worth what someone will pay for them. There are only two Gem Mint 10 BGS MJ rookies in the world. The difference in a 10 and a 9.5 is over $100k.

I collected from the time I was 5 years old until I was around 15. I spent a lot of money on my collection, which I am sure totals well over 100k cards. I got pissed around 2000 when I realized the market had gone to shit and neatly boxed and stored them for the future. It was a fun hobby, and I enjoyed it for many years. I now collect fox body coupes.

Bionik_P

Established Member
I figured as much. I guess most of my collection will continue to collect dust. So much for using them as my retirement plan!:p

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
my dad has a alot of Mcguire rookie cards ...Sammy Sosa Roger Clemens Randy Johnson. Lots of cards from 1985-1995. When they had the baseball lockout in 1994, me and my dad kinda lost intrest.
then we became hockey fans and my dad has so many badass hockey cards its not even funny. I cant wait when im old and there worth $$$$$$$$ Im talking about Brett Hull/bobby hull autographs Wanye Gretzky's Maurice Rouchard

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I just found my collection also. When I played baseball when I was a kid I met lots of big players. I have several signed cards,posters,game balls. My favorite is when I hung out with Ozzie Smith. I had him sign everything including a poster. Hopefully they are all worth money.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Man I had a huge collection too. I wonder what that Jeter SP rookie is worth these days? I should probably send that card out to get graded. I think it was worth like $120 back in 02, the last time I checked. I was more into hockey and hockey cards growing up though, I bet those cards are mostly useless, save for the Patrick Roy and Mario Lemiuex O-P-Chee Rookie cards.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
My brother use to collect in the late 50's and throughout the 60's. I remember some of the mantle maris and others because I used to play with them. He has them in three shoe boxes. I asked him about them some 5 years ago. he said that he has them put up, and that he doesnt intend to even look at them until he's fully retired. I cant wait to look inside those boxes. He hasent purchased a baseball card since 68. No telling what he has.

theraapster

Established Member
Anybody use any software to keep track of your card collections? I bought something (Card Collector?) back in the day, but I was wondering if there is any recent software out? Preferably something that can look up price guesstimates.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Not worth a thing. I see collections all the time on cragislist posted over and over. hhhh

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I have a 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax Rookie Card. I think its worth $1200...and its in near mint condition. I bet I could maybe get $600 from the right buyer!

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Well that sucks if they continue to lose value. I had boxes and boxes full of BB cards, then a few years back I went thru and kept the ones I thought would be good to hold on to and gave the others to my gf's little brother. Still have some good ones (so I think).

Users who are viewing this thread