barton shifter

redrum12

Established Member
How does evwryone like the shifter with the bracket thinking about gettin one and want to know if its really worth the money. I like to race so I know I need to upgrade

Liln2o

Established Member
How does evwryone like the shifter with the bracket thinking about gettin one and want to know if its really worth the money. I like to race so I know I need to upgrade

100 times better than the stock stuff i wouldnt have it any other way

scott_0

Established Member
the Barton is a great shifter, I have one with a 2 post bracket, phenomenal shifting experience

SL0W5.0

Established Member
i have just the bracket and its a must do mod. its easy, cheap and you can feel it every single time you shift gears, so much better

125oh

Established Member
The shifter and bracket are nice but if I had to do it again I might of just bought the 2 post bracket. The stock shifter isn't too bad .

mantis118

Established Member
Hated my Barton. No matter what I did it would not go in third. Bought an mgw and will never look back. Was worth the extra money. Mgw=butter. Barton=noisey notchy pos.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If you are going to spend the money for the barton shifter and two post, get the MGW.

It is a far more involved install with the MGW, but 100% worth it as it is a far better unit.

Justin81

Established Member
I have the Barton 2 post. Yes it made the shift's more positive and controlled than the stock POS but the car has so much drivetrain vibration it feels like you're driving a cement mixer! Not to mention, it lets noise through and I had trouble going into 3rd with it the other night.

I will be switching to the MGW in the spring when I feel like going through it again.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Barton 2 post, Whiteline insert, and poly motor mounts here and I like it a lot! BTW, there's no vibration whatsoever...even with the aluminum driveshaft.

Zevox

Established Member
I bought my Barton with the standard bracket second hand. If I had paid full price I would have went MGW. Just bought a steeda with bracket while they were on sale and trying it out, it should be here this week. The Barton is nice, kind of noisy but very good. I have been locked out of second once at the track and that's it... except when I got locked out of fifth the other night.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I bought my Barton with the standard bracket second hand. If I had paid full price I would have went MGW. Just bought a steeda with bracket while they were on sale and trying it out, it should be here this week. The Barton is nice, kind of noisy but very good. I have been locked out of second once at the track and that's it... except when I got locked out of fifth the other night.

Shifter won't 100% fix that. Poly Motor mounts are extremely helpful too. Even though you may put a super solid shifter and bracket in, the trans can still twist with the engine. Motor mounts will help keep the engine from twisting and in turn the trans too.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I love my barton and 2 post. it does add noise and you can feel the vibrations though the shifter more. I daily drive my car and couldnt imagine not having the shifter at this point . I drove a stock GT the other day and couldnt believe how long the throws were on the stock shifter, felt like a toy in my hand compared to how positive and direct the shifts are with the barton. Imo if you are getting locked out of 3rd or second its more of a clutch issue or the shifter is not installed correctly. I removed my assist spring on the clutch pedal at the same time as the barton install and will never look back. i havent had a single issue other than 5th gear. I think 5th requires a slightly slower action than the other gears for some reason. this was the case with the stock shifter as well.

Here's my take. If you are worried about the extra noise from your "muscle car" then the barton with the 2 post bracket is not for you (havent tried the other bracket to compare the NVH). If you dont mind a little extra noise, and plan on tracking the car i think the shifter is a must have. Its more pricey than the rest but probably one of my favorite things about the car. After driving mine for so long then driving a stock car i was blown away by the difference.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I love my barton and 2 post. it does add noise and you can feel the vibrations though the shifter more. I daily drive my car and couldnt imagine not having the shifter at this point . I drove a stock GT the other day and couldnt believe how long the throws were on the stock shifter, felt like a toy in my hand compared to how positive and direct the shifts are with the barton. Imo if you are getting locked out of 3rd or second its more of a clutch issue or the shifter is not installed correctly. I removed my assist spring on the clutch pedal at the same time as the barton install and will never look back. i havent had a single issue other than 5th gear. I think 5th requires a slightly slower action than the other gears for some reason. this was the case with the stock shifter as well.

Here's my take. If you are worried about the extra noise from your "muscle car" then the barton with the 2 post bracket is not for you (havent tried the other bracket to compare the NVH). If you dont mind a little extra noise, and plan on tracking the car i think the shifter is a must have. Its more pricey than the rest but probably one of my favorite things about the car. After driving mine for so long then driving a stock car i was blown away by the difference.

Having owned both now, the MGW is as quiet as stock and far smoother than the barton.

You don't have to have all the NVH and have a good shifter. The barton was nice, but I wouldn't buy it again over the MGW.

CW1343

Established Member
Having owned both now, the MGW is as quiet as stock and far smoother than the barton.

You don't have to have all the NVH and have a good shifter. The barton was nice, but I wouldn't buy it again over the MGW.

That's what I've been hearing. What all did you do when you installed the MGW? (Removed spring, clutch line, retainer, etc.)

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
MGW is the Bomb.

I just installed the MGW on jackstands in my garage last week on my 2010. Let me tell you, you will without a doubt thank yourself and smile every time you shift your car. Its quiet its fast, positive. It makes shifting FUN!! No if and's or butts.
Mark your drive shaft, drop the front to give yourself some room... its a 2 hour job. The front shoulder pins can be a challenge to get them to release but once you get them released its cake. It comes with a GREAT install video as well.
PM me when you get it and if you have any questions.

Another install tip, I wrapped the shift legs that mount to the tranny with the provided dynomat.

MGW FTW for sure. :thumbsup:

Greg

CW1343

Established Member
I just installed the MGW on jackstands in my garage last week on my 2010. Let me tell you, you will without a doubt thank yourself and smile every time you shift your car. Its quiet its fast, positive. It makes shifting FUN!! No if and's or butts.
Mark your drive shaft, drop the front to give yourself some room... its a 2 hour job. The front shoulder pins can be a challenge to get them to release but once you get them released its cake. It comes with a GREAT install video as well.
PM me when you get it and if you have any questions.

Another install tip, I wrapped the shift legs that mount to the tranny with the provided dynomat.

MGW FTW for sure. :thumbsup:

Greg

I'd like to get an after market shift knob for it. CJP has a Blue one similar to DIB. Is there any extra hardware I would need for that?

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I'd like to get an after market shift knob for it. CJP has a Blue one similar to DIB. Is there any extra hardware I would need for that?

Depends on the shift lever thread pitch. MGW has their own thread pitch, so you can use their shift knobs, or you can opt for the stock thread pitch. If you go with stock, there shouldn't be any extras aside from a boot collar to go with the knob.

CW1343

Established Member
Depends on the shift lever thread pitch. MGW has their own thread pitch, so you can use their shift knobs, or you can opt for the stock thread pitch. If you go with stock, there shouldn't be any extras aside from a boot collar to go with the knob.

Alright, perfect. Thanks for the help.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
installed my barton about a week ago and I love it! my only complaint is on shifting into first I get caught on the reverse lockout. other than that yes its louder on shifts. I did not get the two post bracket I got the one step under it. it shifts like a champ!

Users who are viewing this thread