Barton shifter info

mystickb1996

Established Member
On the fence about changing the stock shifter but have a few questions. I have the barton 2 post bracket already which made a good difference but I hate how sloppy the shifter is when in gear, there's a lot of play and the. 1-2 shift is so damn notchy. I want to know, did the barton make shifting from 1-2 smoother and better feeling? Does it still go from 2-3 easily with just pushing on the shifter? I have to say the stock shifter is silky smooth on the 2-3 3-4 4-5 shift and want to know the barton is the same. Also how's going into reverse with the Barton?

scott_0

Established Member
the Barton is a nice shifter, very well made, it will be more precise and mechanical feeling than stock,

Honest Mike

Established Member
I love mine. No complaints. Had a small glitch when I first installed it. The instructions were wrong. Turned the handle around 180 degrees and that solved the glitch. I had a whole topic about it if you wanna search for it on here.

Honest Mike

Established Member
I forgot to add I have not missed a shift since installing this shifter and bracket. With the stock shifter and bracket I was missing 2nd and 3rd literally everytime I tried to race someone. Replaced shifter and bracket and have not missed a shift since, no lie.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Forgot to add that it did create a little more interior noise tho. If you cup your hand over the top of the stock shifter knob, base interior shifter knob, it blocks the noise. It seems the noise comes right up out of the seams on top of that knob. Maybe changing the knob to one without seams would help, haven't tried it.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've ran barton, and mgw. I personally liked the Barton 2 post with the stock shifter the best. Barton and mgw is to mechanical feeling. Not really comfortable shifting unless you're speed shifting all the time.

Another good one is Barton shifter, with the shift knob extender. Raised the shift ball 1.5 inches. Makes it a lot more comfortable driving around town and imo makes it VERY easy to power shift

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've ran barton, and mgw. I personally liked the Barton 2 post with the stock shifter the best. Barton and mgw is to mechanical feeling. Not really comfortable shifting unless you're speed shifting all the time.

Another good one is Barton shifter, with the shift knob extender. Raised the shift ball 1.5 inches. Makes it a lot more comfortable driving around town and imo makes it VERY easy to power shift

syclone50

Established Member
I had a barton and did not like it. I hated the fact there was no return spring to help it out of reverse. Seemed like to much work for it to return to center. I know have the MGW and love it. THAT is a night an day difference. The barton to the MGW

Honest Mike

Established Member
Yea you do have to help it back out of reverse a little but it doesn't bother me. How many times a day are you actually using reverse? Everyone rants and raves over the MGW, I never felt one, but I'm gonna have to someday lol!

SCalla1384

Established Member
Honestly, when I sold my Barton and 2 post for the mgw, I was expecting a lot. And I was dissapointed. Maybe because everyone hyped me up about it and I was expecting to much?

It felt very similar to the Barton to me.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Honestly, when I sold my Barton and 2 post for the mgw, I was expecting a lot. And I was dissapointed. Maybe because everyone hyped me up about it and I was expecting to much?

It felt very similar to the Barton to me.

Baysixx

Established Member
First i had the barton 2 post and short shifter but i went back to stock shifter with the bracket. The barton was too notchy but it shift well. the 1-2 was still a problem but i have read that it is due to the transmission not shifter. blowfish bracket is supposed to fix the 1-2.Clutch and clutch line made a night a day difference to shifting an notchiness compared to switching between the stock shifter and barton. My opinion is save ur money if youre looking for a fix for the 1-2 shift, if you want actual shorter shifts then the barton is great

mystickb1996

Established Member
thanks for all the info, exactly what i was looking for. probably going to stick with the 2 post bracket and stock shifter for now.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I recently removed my barton shifter and left the barton bracket in there. Here is my take: The Barton shifter is great for fast driving, it's hard to miss a shift. But the stock shifter is much less notchy and feels better when you are just cruising around. I don't have any problems at all with my 1-2 shift with the stock shifter, but I have an RXT clutch/clutch line and solid motor mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread