Barrett Jackson

Saleenrose

Established Member
Anyone going to Barret Jackson, no Rs that I have seen for sale. Using new ride to haul a couple of cars to Silvers, I am able to haul a couple back if any interest, Northwest area.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Anyone going to Barret Jackson, no Rs that I have seen for sale. Using new ride to haul a couple of cars to Silvers, I am able to haul a couple back if any interest, Northwest area.

Seeing they are pretty much single handedly responsible for the demise of the car collector hobby, I think I'll take a pass! :fart:

Saleenrose

Established Member
I believe it is a party, purchasing event for the rich, just going to watch all the events. I'm not the rich, and would really find a hard time paying those fees involved with the inflated prices.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Seeing they are pretty much single handedly responsible for the demise of the car collector hobby, I think I'll take a pass! :fart:

They maybe resposible for the "demise"(explosion) of the collector car market pricing, they have brought alot of life to the car collector hobby via the SPEED channel.

I plan on going again. It's kind of like going to the circus........only the lions wear cloths and walk upright. ;)

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce...Define demise please?

Years ago, before ebay and BJ, the average person could find an old car he liked at a reasonable price.

But since the advent of BJ, where cocktailed up people, with more money than brains or car knowledge, pay $700,000.00 for a $70,000.00 car. This drives the price up for ALL of the people that own these cars that were worth $70,000.00 give or take. Now the people that want these particular $70,000.00 cars will now have to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars MORE for the same car. This is because some asshat was in a bidding war and was willing to pay whatever the price was to get the car he wanted.

Thankfully for myself I have sort of drifted away from the older stuff because I find driving newer technology much more exciting. As a matter of fact I receive less and less pleasure driving my 1966 Mustang coupe because it rides and handles so poorly. :( But it's the closest thing to a Time Machine that you'll ever experience! :idea:

My .02 cents.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I see. I believe that there is a Barrett-Jackson premium. People are willing to pay more to say they bought it there. But a $70k car is not going to sell for $700k unless there are crazy people all over.

I have a treasure. A 1969 Boss 302. The earliest known to exist Boss 302. The only Boss 302 and one of a handful of cars built during the short partnership of Holman & Moody-Stroppe, INC.

The market for that car is pretty narrow because its so rare. I have offered it for sale with only one serious inquiry. Would you sell it in the local paper for $40K? Am I part of the demise of the collector car hobby?

JerryHeasleyShoot076.jpg

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
being in az i have cruised the circuit the last few years as well as stopping by the bj showroom in scottsdale.

they do have a few nice cars every year, though most of them i look upon as nothing more than used cars at a large greedy dealer. this is to say i see no value in 90% of the cars they sell and a total lack of respect for what they do. bj is far too big to keep up any decent customer service and qaulity that they claim. and because of this the entire industry has suffered. unfortunately bj is not about the cars anymore. for them all they care about is the next rich guy that walks through thier doors.

they have put a black eye on the entire industry because of this snobish atmosphere that they created. they have forgotten about the only thing that matters. the cars!:bash:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I see. I believe that there is a Barrett-Jackson premium. People are willing to pay more to say they bought it there. But a $70k car is not going to sell for $700k unless there are crazy people all over.

I have a treasure. A 1969 Boss 302. The earliest known to exist Boss 302. The only Boss 302 and one of a handful of cars built during the short partnership of Holman & Moody-Stroppe, INC.

The market for that car is pretty narrow because its so rare. I have offered it for sale with only one serious inquiry. Would you sell it in the local paper for $40K? Am I part of the demise of the collector car hobby?

Rob:

If you're selling a rare '69 Boss with race history you should be thankful for what BJ has done TO the hobby because you will be getting infinitely MORE for your car because of them. :bowdown: That's good for you and anyone else selling rare old cars. Just don't try to find something else that's rare and unique without having to bend over and grabbing your ankles first. :dw:

It's the people trying to get into the hobby that are suffering because all of the 'deals' like those found in the '60's, '70's and '80's are becoming 'miracle' finds in the 90's and '00's.

Like I said before, it's just my .02 cents.

FWIW

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Rob:

If you're selling a rare '69 Boss with race history you should be thankful for what BJ has done TO the hobby because you will be getting infinitely MORE for your car because of them. :bowdown: That's good for you and anyone else selling rare old cars. Just don't try to find something else that's rare and unique without having to bend over and grabbing your ankles first. :dw:

It's the people trying to get into the hobby that are suffering because all of the 'deals' like those found in the '60's, '70's and '80's are becoming 'miracle' finds in the 90's and '00's.

Like I said before, it's just my .02 cents.

FWIW

I don't need an advanced degree to know that the bargain is not found at any retailer when it comes to something like this. You are not only paying for the collectability of the car, but you are paying for someone else to do all the hunting and leg work to find the car for you.

Maybe I am just lucky. But I found my Boss 302 is a barn. I found a '75 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco lost in some red paint. That restoration paid for my '95 R. Mean time I found one of the 50 1968 1/2 Mustang Cobra Jet Factory Drag cars on another farm near my home.

This is a photo of that car....yes, its in that bush.
68cj025.jpg

After we cut the bush away, here is what we found. Yes, the guy bought the factory drag car(not knowing what it was at the time) in order to build a Shelby clone back in 1972. He has never really touched the car.

CJuncovered002.jpg

I am still trying to buy this car. These are where the bargains are. Not BJ

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Rob:

There will always continue to be "finds" either in barns, in fields, under a pile of junk in garages, estate sales with clueless executors liquidating assets, etc. etc. If someone has enough energy, equipment, time, money and equipped facilities they can have a lot of fun resurrecting neglected hulks back into show pieces. :coolman:

I guess what I was referring to are the normal cars that get bought and sold, someone pays an exorbitant price on National TV for it and that drives the prices sky high for sellers and buyers. That doesn't even include the outrageous fees that BJ collects from BOTH buyers and sellers. I'm not saying what BJ does isn't entertaining. Sometimes I'm seriously :lol: I'm saying it's sad what's happened in the last 10 or 15 years to the "hobby". :(

Just my opinion. And we all know opinions are just like ............... oh nevermind, you guys all know the rest of that saying! ;-)

Saleenrose

Established Member
People have funny ideas about why to buy a car, some always wanted that car, at the time they could not afford one, as was the case when I bought my 93R, I always wanted one, Some people look at investing in cars because the price keeps going up, bad idea, What do you do with a $1,000,000 dodge, where do put the door when it falls off?, I think of driving every car I own, I run the crap out of them, Ask darkhorse, Others just have so much F'in money that they find a thrill out of paying way to much for anything they buy, You have met the guy that cant tell you anything about anything without mentioning how expensive and how great, better there thing is because they paid more, thats the world, also at my age, allot younger than most car guys, I found a totally different market, I enjoy cars from when I grew up, The 80s, I cant even understand, but I have one Customer who is HOTRODing a Mustang II Coupe?????. Look at model T's, for a long time they were the collectors, now you can buy a excellent restored one for around 10 grand, better than the Dodge. It is all in the eyes of the beholder and what do they want, and how can they pay for it. You want a reasonable hot rod, buy a late 70s, early 80s corvette, dirt cheap.

Last edited:

drkhrse

Established Member
You not only drive the crap out of them, you let me drive one!! You are yet to finish the Mustnag II? That thing is going to be the bomb someday <i'm being sarcastic> :rollseyes

I agree w/ saleen rose, cars are ment to be drivin, even though he doesn't like my '69 stang because its "to old" :(

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I agree, I'm not a fan of Barret Jackson. In high school, I graduated in 98, so not that long ago, a NICE Boss 302 went for $20k's, 429's went for $50k's. Now, it's absolutly crazy! My 73, which I would live in before I sold it, would go for more money now with the paint peeling, running like crap, with a rusted out seat frame, than when it was a nice resto mod 10 years ago. BTW, I bought that car for $600. Those days are gone. At least Foxes and the like are cheap.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I agree with many of these opinions, I went to BJ last Jan., drank free (as a bidder) saw more silicone than is in Calif. tech. parks..lol Trophy girlfriends...Rolex watches on overweight guys..hopefully real..lol. It was a carnival...in every sense...but it somehow has contributed the the passion we share for vehicles..I do not always agree with the way they run it...fast hammer..etc.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I do not always agree with the way they run it...fast hammer..etc.

cars/trucks are meant to be enjoyed cough cough meant to be driven! most of those that run through bj are put away as trophys.

fast hammers, shill bidders, huge commissions from both buyers and sellers,....
bj has made a joke of the industry!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Well...I have my Boss 302 up for sale. Its a rare car that might better in a museum than in the grocery store parking lot, though thats where i drive it.

its pretty hard to sell a car like that without a national forum to do it.
that or ebay.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
They maybe responsible for the "demise"(explosion) of the collector car market pricing, they have brought alot of life to the car collector hobby via the SPEED channel.
I agree.

But the American muscle car market has softened since last year's BJ auction (source: Sports Car Market database).

The market for rare and significant cars at auction is no different than the auction market for other rare and valuable items (art, wine, etc.).

However, when the prices of items go beyond their intrinsic value, corrections in these values always happen. Before Bruce's friend, Al Gore, discovered the internet ;-) , there was a bubble in all cars with the Ferrari nameplate. People paid a million dollars for a F40 (1988-1991) that now can be easily purchased for $300,000. That bubble ended very badly, and most of those cars have never recovered to their high prices of twenty years ago.

In this century, we have experienced a dot.com stock bubble and a housing bubble. Those didn't work out well either (and housing prices are just beginning to plunge in value in certain areas). Dot.com stocks fell by 84% in 2 1/2 years. Some say we are already in a economic recession (but not me).

I predict that car prices (except for the historically significant rarest of the rare) will come back down to earth and again be affordable to car enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread