Banging my head against the wall (overheating fix suggestions?)

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
So my fan seized on my last week, blew the cap off puked out all the fluid...

I got a new fan today, flushed the whole system, put a new fan in, filled it at the crossover with the cap loose...

Car is still overheating like crazy... It is constantly blowing steam out of the crossover tube, after the first attempt and cooldown the expansion tank dropped down to nothing, filled at the crossover now it's at the point of just bubbling... I've been doing this for 40 min, and it's still overheating....

fan is on, and apparently the t-stat has opened since tank levels dropped...

But now the crossover just steams and bubbles, but the tank level does not move... Any suggestions?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
siezed fan pops the fuse. you sure fan is running? sounds like you still have a ton of air in the system. burp the car as prescribed in one of the many threads on the subject.

tank is on the other side of the system from the crossover tube. fill from the burp plug until its full. then fill the tank.

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
siezed fan pops the fuse. you sure fan is running? sounds like you still have a ton of air in the system. burp the car as prescribed in one of the many threads on the subject.

tank is on the other side of the system from the crossover tube. fill from the burp plug until its full. then fill the tank.

Yeah fan is good!

When I fill from the cross over it fills the tank right away... I left the crossover tube open and coolant just boils out of it, so I capped that and opened the tank cap, ran the car and a massive amount of air bubbled out and the tank level dropped to almost nothing... filled it back up at the cross over capped it, and it's still overheating....

You can never see coolant in the cross over, the second you pour it in it empties directly into the expansion... Still lost on this one

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
Cobrabuddy said:
Yeah fan is good!

When I fill from the cross over it fills the tank right away... I left the crossover tube open and coolant just boils out of it, so I capped that and opened the tank cap, ran the car and a massive amount of air bubbled out and the tank level dropped to almost nothing... filled it back up at the cross over capped it, and it's still overheating....

You can never see coolant in the cross over, the second you pour it in it empties directly into the expansion... Still lost on this one

When totally cold, open your coolant crossover and your expansion tank. Fill your expansion tank to the fill mark, cap it. Slowly fill through the coolant crossover until it is full and immediate air comes out. Run it until it gets warm. Stop, open the coolant crossover ONLY! slowly keep pouring more coolant into it until the coolant crossover is full. Cap it, run it again. Keep doing this. It takes a while to get all of the air out of the coolant system. The expansion tank IMHO is about worthless. You can never open it while the car is warm, otherwise you risk air getting into the coolant system and eventually you will blow coolant through your expansion tank. I have had this happen to me on several occasions. I only recently learned my lesson.

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
dustin said:
When totally cold, open your coolant crossover and your expansion tank. Fill your expansion tank to the fill mark, cap it. Slowly fill through the coolant crossover until it is full and immediate air comes out. Run it until it gets warm. Stop, open the coolant crossover ONLY! slowly keep pouring more coolant into it until the coolant crossover is full. Cap it, run it again. Keep doing this. It takes a while to get all of the air out of the coolant system. The expansion tank IMHO is about worthless. You can never open it while the car is warm, otherwise you risk air getting into the coolant system and eventually you will blow coolant through your expansion tank. I have had this happen to me on several occasions. I only recently learned my lesson.

Ok, well the car is hot now, so I'll do this in a couple of hours... What a huge pain... I can rebuild a blower but can't fill my coolant... :rolleyes:

Avenger

Established Member
Yeah, had the same thing happen to me after we strapped the car on the dyno. Kept adding coolant, took about 30 minutes to get it completely filled.

djtyau

Established Member
You are missing some steps in the refill process. I have copied and pasted this information a bunch of times so if you do a search you should be able to find it.

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
djtyau said:
You are missing some steps in the refill process. I have copied and pasted this information a bunch of times so if you do a search you should be able to find it.

My issue is this... I keep filling the crossover, and it just empties into the expansion to the point it overflows... The crossover never fills all the way up...

I'm going to really really flush the system and try again... unless you have other advice... Also i did find your posts and that is helpful.

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
LEAVE THE CAP ON THE OVERFLOW TANK WHEN YOU HAVE THE BURP PLUG OPEN!!!!!!

...buy him a book and he eats the pages...

I followed the directions perfectly the first two time, admittedly I left that tap off a few times later in the trial and error process. I think I found the problem however...

I stopped up all the open hoses with rags while the car was sitting for two weeks, something got in there as I found some debris in system this morning and I do remember a rag fell out, or as it would seem now, "removed," and something decided to nest... lol...

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Flushed the system, pulled some crap out of the lines... filled it back up, works fine...

burping is very simple when there aren't pine cones in the hose... :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread