Ball rods and tie joints.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Just kidding. Anyways, I took my car to get an alignment the other day, found out I need two new inner tie rod ends, and a left lower ball joint. The shop could do it all for $500, or I could do it for <$120. I chose to do it myself. Replaced the ball joint yesterday, tie rods on sunday since my alignment appointment is on monday. My left front tire is rubbing on my fender at the front under hard turns. Would this be because of the alignment, the ball joint, or the tie rods? Because doing the ball joint didn't fix it. I was really hoping it would. Maybe I did the ball joint wrong? Any help would be appreciated. My car is an 89 Mustang LX, brand new tires. Funny thing was the old tires didn't rub...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
did you replace jsut the ball joint or the entire control arm?

I dont think an ITR (inner tie rod) would cause rubbing, it doesnt have anything to do with up/down motion of the suspension. Is the alignment off equally or worse after the parts install?

Last edited:

mcaligiuri

Established Member
tie rod would do that. google toe out on turns. get a alignment problem solved

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
When you replaced your tie rods you should have measure the distance and/or threads and matched it up to get it close to the previous specs.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
New tire size? Same?

Sent with My Massive Johnson

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Same size, 225/60/16, was the same as previous tires. When I asked that, I had only done the ball joint. Now I've done the tie rods, and have some pretty good toe-out. The alignment will fix that, I know. I counted the revolutions to get in the same ballpark but it obviously is pretty hard without the right tools to make it great.
When I went in for the alignment the first time, the mechanic said the toe was good. So toe wasn't the problem with rubbing, it's almost like my tire moved forward in the wheel well. I'll talk to the mechanic tomorrow.
Thomas91169, there was nothing really wrong with the alignment in the first place. I took it in to get a little negative camber on the fronts so under fast turns the outsides of the tires wouldn't wear so fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread