Ball joint replacment?????

hevymtl

Speed Junky
Established Member
Ive used the search button and how-to area. I havent found all the info I need. Is there any special tools to changing my upper and lower ball joints out?? How difficult is this job gona be?? All the work that has been done to my truck I have did,so I dont think it would be too hard. :shrug:

Ive already got the ball joints. I just needed some info before tackling this project.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I would just take your upper and lower a-arms and have them pressed out at your local machine shop. Only use a press. Bring your new ones with you and have them pressed in at the same time. They should only charge you maybe 40 bones or so... Stan

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
The C-Clamp type ball joint presses work pretty well. I used that for my son's 97 F150 when we put the FabTech lift on it. You can rent (borrow) them at Autozone, or buy them at Harbor Freight.

Herb

hevymtl

Speed Junky
Established Member
Ive already bought the upper control arm with the ball joint pressed in. The lower ball joint can be removed. I was just wondering how difficult this would be to install.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Did you get the upper ones with zerk fittings in them? Take some pics when you do it for a how-to if you can. Good luck btw. I have never heard of ball joints going bad as much as these trucks seem to.

hevymtl

Speed Junky
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Did you get the upper ones with zerk fittings in them?

Yea they came with the fittings. Got the truck on jack stands gona start on it tomorrow. I got to looking at them and it looks like a fairly simple job.

Users who are viewing this thread