Baffled. Help please!

stone4779

Established Member
OK so Ive got this car im helping work on, some of you may remember me...Im the guy that got robbed and stuff..the car STILL isnt together, its just been one thing after another.

ANYWAYS:

When I bolted everything up, the input shaft doesnt reach the pilot bearing, and barely touches the splines on the pressure plate, so effectively the clutch is not even operational.

I have a McLeod bellhousing, I could have bought a stock one but I fugred I'd upgrade the guy since it was only like another $40.

I measured the input shaft and it checked out at 7" roughly. I called D&D and had them measure a stock 03/04 Cobra input shaft and they said it was the same. 7" from the bearing to the tip.

OK so, now I called McLeod and asked them if they had any ideas, they gave me the measurements and I checked the bellhousing. It measured nearly exactly what they told me.

So if the clutch is a brand new SPEC stage 3, the bellhousing is a brand new McLeod that measures nearly perfect...whats left?

I bought the T56 from a member, came out of a '98(?) Cobra and was purchased from D&D years ago as a T56 swap.

Im thinking the only thing that could be off would be the front plate?

Maybe the trans is from a LSx car ? Are the front plates thicker on the LS cars?

Could I just swap on an input shaft thats longer?

Last edited:

stone4779

Established Member
it does bolt up and everything, just the input shaft doesnt reach the splines and engage/fit together... input shaft is too short..

yet when I measure it, off the transmission, it measures the correct length.?

and bellhousing measures the correct length as well.. wth?

Last edited:

stone4779

Established Member
fwiw the trans had a 31 spline output shaft....

we measured the end of the pilot bearing to be 7" from the mating surface and the input shaft to be only 6" from the mating surface.. (using a piece of flat iron and a steel rod)

SO that leaves roughly an inch gap, which would put the input shaft splines just out of reach of the spines on the pressure plate.

Whats the deal? Anybody?

Thanks yall

Users who are viewing this thread