Baer brake upgrade for boss 302

Splatter

Established Member
Hi Every one, Was wondering what was the best brake setup for my 2012 boss. Love the car but the brakes just don't have the bite and you tend to give them a jab before going into a corner just to give you more confidence.

Was thinking of Hawk HPS pads and Baer 14in plus 2 vented and slotted front discs. For the rear was not sure if its worth getting the Baer 14in plus 2 rotor kit or a set of stock vented rotors like Baers decelerators (much cheaper). First priority is getting better brake performance and bite. Looks is a distant second.

I know the fronts do all the work but was impressed at the rear rotors on a new M3. Do you think that a 14in rear rotor will upset the abs?? Any suggestions would be very welcome!!

Cheers!

86Fbody

Established Member
I had a driving instructor suggest Hawk HP+'s I believe he said. Also I am not sure if getting bigger rear rotors will do anything with the stock calipers. I have recently installed brake ducts and I heard they are supposed to help a lot on the track. That might be what you want to add with rotors and pads.

Grant808

Established Member
I had a driving instructor suggest Hawk HP+'s I believe he said. Also I am not sure if getting bigger rear rotors will do anything with the stock calipers. I have recently installed brake ducts and I heard they are supposed to help a lot on the track. That might be what you want to add with rotors and pads.

Great suggestion with the ducts. Difference is night and day. Before the ducts my fronts would normally be 15-20+% hotter than the rears. Last time out with the ducts in, the fronts temped about 10-15% cooler. Rear dust shields are out.

For 5 track days a year, I'd suggest getting a dedicated pad/rotor set...

Now that my rears rotors are running hotter, I'm considering a larger diameter rotor, assuming i can find one with more mass than stock.

Splatter

Established Member
The Baer 14 in rear brake kit uses the stock calipers, the added diameter adds to the torque while the mass means it runs cooler. The cost for the kit is about 600 bucks. Probably order the vented and drilled 14 discs up front with some good pads like the Hawks. See if that does ok. What do the race spec 302`s run in the rear??

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The Baer 14 in rear brake kit uses the stock calipers, the added diameter adds to the torque while the mass means it runs cooler. The cost for the kit is about 600 bucks. Probably order the vented and drilled 14 discs up front with some good pads like the Hawks. See if that does ok. What do the race spec 302`s run in the rear??
The 302S/R's use the stock size rotors and calipers with race pads in the rear.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Hi Every one, Was wondering what was the best brake setup for my 2012 boss. Love the car but the brakes just don't have the bite and you tend to give them a jab before going into a corner just to give you more confidence.

Was thinking of Hawk HPS pads and Baer 14in plus 2 vented and slotted front discs. For the rear was not sure if its worth getting the Baer 14in plus 2 rotor kit or a set of stock vented rotors like Baers decelerators (much cheaper). First priority is getting better brake performance and bite. Looks is a distant second.

I know the fronts do all the work but was impressed at the rear rotors on a new M3. Do you think that a 14in rear rotor will upset the abs?? Any suggestions would be very welcome!!

Cheers!

I'm a little confused as to what your are looking for. You state that you don't like the bite and yet you mention getting Hawk HPS pads. The upgraded caliper is not going to help you much if you put a street pad back on. I use the stock caliper but run an agressive pad for the track. For me, it has plenty of bite.

Also, if you want to improve the feel of them, put on a set of braided brake lines. It firms up the pedal which gives you a confident feel.

You're throwing a lot of money at a problem which may have simple solutions. JMHO

2013Boss302

Established Member
Keep brake bias in mind. The stock Brembos with a race pad should do the trick. I had a 2011 GT and put a front and rear BBK and it was better off with the Brembos.

Splatter

Established Member
Thanks, will try the pads first, Any recommendations on the pads? Something that would be streetable while getting the best performance possible? Was intending to stay with the stock calipers in any case just looking at a possible rotor change. If the race prepped 302 uses the stock rotors in the rear, then that should be more then enough for me.

Grant808

Established Member
Thanks, will try the pads first, Any recommendations on the pads? Something that would be streetable while getting the best performance possible? Was intending to stay with the stock calipers in any case just looking at a possible rotor change. If the race prepped 302 uses the stock rotors in the rear, then that should be more then enough for me.

I may be in the minority here, but if you want to stick to one pad for street and track...why not stick with the stock PFC ones? If you haven't already changed the fluid to DOT4, you might also want to do that first. My Brembo GT felt way better after the switch.

My suggestion for a dedicated track set of pads and rotors is so that you can get track pad recommendations, because I wouldn't recommend a race pad for the street. Well, at least not daily driving.

I understood that you were looking to keep the calipers...and forgot to suggest a non drilled rotor, unless you just have to have it. And ditto on the stainless lines if you want to improve the feel.

Splatter

Established Member
Thanks for the tips, changed to braided brakes line and ATE blue brake fluid. Worked great on the track with PFC pads. No fade (well almost..) all day for over 4 hours hard going (30min race intervals and about the same waiting for another go). Feel still lacks the initial bite but very easy to modulate.

86Fbody

Established Member
Thanks for the tips, changed to braided brakes line and ATE blue brake fluid. Worked great on the track with PFC pads. No fade (well almost..) all day for over 4 hours hard going (30min race intervals and about the same waiting for another go). Feel still lacks the initial bite but very easy to modulate.

For the track/street I would suggest the HPS's, they have been great for me so far and are awesome on the track. Did you also get the brake ducts? They really help make even the stock pads seem 100% better.

Users who are viewing this thread