Bad tuning experience....BBR!

BADGT

Established Member
First off.....I would like to start off by saying this is not in any way a outlet to bash a tuner or drag a company through the mud. I believe in an 'eye for and eye" and fair business. If you pay for something, I believe you should get what you pay for in a timely manner. I mainly use this site for buying and selling parts. Thats what it started out as, and up to this point has grown into a passion for vehicle performance.

So my vehicle......I own a 2013 Ford Mustang GT, Track pack. I am the second owner and my plans for the vehicle were to keep it stock and just add a few bolt ons to keep it simple and just drive it. That didn't happen below I will list all the mods on the vehicle currently.

Mods:

2.3 Ford Racing Whipple Supercharger..... 9 PSI
60mm Twin Blade Throttle Body
ID1000 Injectors
Metco Fuel Rails
JLT True-carbon Big Air Intake 127MM
JLT Oil Separator
Stainless Works Catless LT Headers/Stainless Works X-Pipe/Flowmaster Outlaw
MMR Water pump Pulley
BPS Alt pulley
TSS Oil Pump Gears
TSS Crankshaft Gears
JMS BAP
AFCO Double Pass Heat exchanger

Suspension:
FRONT
SVT GT500 Struts
Eibach Sportlich springs
M&M Caster Camber Plates
UPR Bump steer Kit
REAR
Eibach Springs
QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks
BMR Panhard Bar and Brace
Eibach Pro Alignment LCA
Metco Upper Control Arm

Tires
Front 275/35/20
Rear 305/35/20
Micky Thompson Drag Radials

I might have missed a small part here or there but thats a majority of it. So to get to the point..... I have not needed to tune my vehicle until I added the SC and other supporting mods. I don't live in an area with a dyno and reputable tuner. So..... I used google and came up with a few options that others here on SVT and other forums suggested.

BBR,VMP,Brenspeed,Lund,AED,JMS,Team Beefcake Racing.

I started making calls and finding out who would tune the vehicle. I will not put anyone on blast but one on the list said NO!...SO I picked two from what was left, that way I had an option and could use the best "tune" until I could make the drive to a Dyno. I started on the first tune with BBR, I spoke to "JP" and he said he would talk to Chris Jones (Tuner) and get back to me. JP called the same day and said he talked to Chris and he said.....Tuning the vehicle would be..."No Problem"! That call took place on April 14. The S/C along with the supporting mods were put on the vehicle on the 15th and 16th. On April 18th I received the "Start-Up" tune. Upon receiving the tune I noticed it said 93, But on my tuning form I put E-85. I emailed JP several times trying to clarify if it was tuned for 93 or E-85. On April 20th I ended up calling to try to get a definite answer before I loaded the tune and put the E-85 in the tank. When I called JP he said Chris is swamped and he would try to get me a answer when he could!!!...IMO thats a bullshit answer to give someone that just gave you $350. Can you not just ask real quick dude? So JP called me back and said E-85.....So I added fuel loaded the tune.....Nothing, the vehicle would not start and threw code P0100...(MAF Sensor). So I immediately emailed JP and got no response. I started emailing and trying to get in touch with BBR to get the tune adjusted and get the car running......No response....No call...NOTHING! From the start JP was real quick to take my money, But when it came time to help they were "Too busy"! So in fear of installing the parts the wrong way or plugging something in the wrong spot I had the vehicle towed to a performance shop locally to check it out, just to be safe. They checked it out and said it looked Good, they didn't find any vacuum leaks or parts installed the incorrect way! I explained to them what it was doing and they said lets see if we can get it running. A new MAF was installed and same code P0100. So they flipped the MAF and it started idling....for about 20 sec and it died....Same code pops up....P0100! So I started calling and emailing BBR between the 20th and 24th to try get the tune revised. I finally broke down and called on the 24th and spoke to Liz, I explained to her what happened with JP and asked her to please help me out! She said she would get it fixed first thing on the 25th. She called me around 5pm on the 24th and asked for pictures of my intake and Throttle Body! I asked myself "why the hell would she ask for that, I filled out a DETAILED tune sheet and emailed it to them? So I did as she asked and sent the pics. I waited....She called at 11am on the 25th and said the MAF was upside down and I needed to flip it over and try to start it. Well I did that several times previously and that didn't work! So I asked her if Chris was going to fix the tune and she said "Yes" it would be done today. So I patiently waited all day and here it is 6pm on the 25th and I have nothing. So I sent them a email and asked for a refund, that I was going to take my business to another tuner. I believe if you pay for something you should get what you pay for, as I stated in the beginning. I don't have much experience with tuners, I'm not sure if this whole "customer service" thing is suppose to be like this or just a "hit or miss'' type of deal. In my eyes $350 is a lot of money. Im in the Military and trust me I work HARD for every penny I make. After reading and seeing other people dealing with other tuners having similar customer service issues maybe its just the nature of the business. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues with BBR and what the outcome was? I hate to put this up here and make it sound like a complaint department. But I feel like other people should hear this before they make a decision on purchasing a tune from a company that promises to "tune your vehicle" but does not hold up there part of the deal. Like I said this is just here to clarify and express my ''OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS" and see if anyone else has had similar issues. If you feel like being a wise ass....just save it! I'm not here to start a tuning war. Im just looking for the best outcome.

scotmach

Established Member
I didn't think anyone used BBR anymore for this very reason. You should have done better research on this subject before ordering.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on BBR. I remember calling them a few years ago. They wanted $XXX for a custom tune but then told me that a datalog would be more?? That turned me away from them asap.

With your set up, I can see why some would say no. With a dyno tune, the tuner can best guess the best route but the second they see a lean condition or anything, they can back off quickly, adjust the tune, and start again. If they email you a tune, you go WOT, miss seeing it going lean....pop. Then everyone blames the tuner. They usually have a starter tune that worked on some ones car that had the exact same mods as you, but that doesn't mean your car will like it. One great example, we had a tuner from SoCal fly out to Little Rock while I was there at Little Rock AFB. I had my Lighting and another guy from base had a Lighting. We had the same mods but he had a ported plenum. My truck went first and it was running super rich so he had to lean it out a little. Truck made good power and it was around a mid 11 AF ratio when done. So since we had almost the same mods, he put my tune in his truck as a starter tune. He had to back off asap cause it ran super lean. He had to actually fatten up his tune and even it surprised the tuner on how lean it went. But he saw it on the pull, stopped it, adjusted it and the truck lived to see another day.
If I remember right OP, you're in Knoxville TN? Which by the way I was born raised in Kingston TN, Roane County. Just retired from the AF last Oct.
I've actually traveled several hours just to take a car to for a dyno tune. Farthest was 6 hours. I would contact Fastlane motorsports in NC (which I've used several times when stationed at Pope and I was happy with them. Or Brenspeed in Indiana...places that might be a several hours to drive to. Most will give you a starter tune to baby it there, zero boost best you can, or you could always trailer it there. Most likely be during the week, just have to set up the appointment and take some leave.
I've had some bad experiences in the past with tuners and vendors. For some, it's the normal, for others...you just had the bad luck draw of the day and it's not the norm.
I can say for the email tuning, Lund got back to me quick each time, same as VMP. Mike...hit or miss. but good luck OP and hopefully you get it squared away quick. Nothing like having a beast right there and can't drive it.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I'm not defending BBR after they ripped me off for 40-some dollars on an order I made from them years ago. The invoice listed the parts as not in stock so I presumed they were backordered and would be sent when they came in. A month later I called and was told they'd check on the parts and I never heard from them again.//

However we need you to step back from the edge and recheck the install. Don't you have to re-pin the MAF when you install the Whipple?

Since you're throwing MAF codes, Verify your wiring. When were the OPG installed?

I'd also hope you didn't pay that shop that installed the MAF upside down.

You may also want to try a different CAI, some tuners have issues with that JLT intake.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Each time I had questions about getting a tune before I bought the ngauge/tune to the last time I updated it to a cobra jet setup, Lund got back to me within 24 hours. Even data logs that I sent at 11pm had a response in my inbox when I woke up.

That being said during high season when everyone is trying to get their cars tuned they can and will get behind sometimes. Still doesn't justify a no response and I know if we went more than a day in the industry i'm in the business would be gone.

That being said I remember meeting someone at a car meet that went with a bama tune for their boss 302 intake and made all these claims that they were screwing him over and the car was running like crap only to find out that he had issues with the o rings and it was 100% installer error.

BADGT

Established Member
I appreciate the input and recommendations. The closest dyno is in Dallas. Thats roughly 3 hours from me. I honestly want to put it on a dyno, I just don't have that option. I researched a lot before doing any of this, I ordered the supercharger in Dec 2016 and just now put it on! Ill look a Lund Racing and see what they say. I called got the basics, but I didn't move forward with anything. Is there anymore tuners that could tune this. Correctly?

BADGT

Established Member
*UPDATE*
I got the start-up tune from BBR Yesterday. There are a few things that need to be worked out in the tune itself. I data-logged today and then I parked it. Hopefully it will be up and running soon! Ill keep it updated once I get the WOT data-logging done and have some normal drive time in the vehicle and report on drivability with the tune.

Nate the great

Natesvt
Established Member
Not to be that guy that just pops up out of no where but I purchased my first coyote car last year up from good ol 3v power and finally gonna mod my yote so first on my list was a tune mind you my car is stock I try BBR only on internet. Search positive inputs and the $95 price anyhow got my fist tune my a6 shifted so hard I was beating my teeth together 2 tune idle 1100 rpm 3 tune pretty good had some detonation up high rpm no biggie torco data log go from there .. to the end of the story Bbr said no need to data log my car is fine .... wth. Also every time I talk to Liz she was rude as all get out and bossy I buy $$$$$ parts for my other ponys from all over lmr am Cj summit deal with BAMA steeda Lund vmp etc and never felt like I got talk to like I was stupid like I experienced there .. ps Chris was very nice on the phone but I truly felt like they didn't give an crap at all and wish I wouldn't contact them . Asked for data safe review 3 x no reply.. SO. LUND BABY and happy happy happy my car is perfect

BADGT

Established Member
[email protected] were nice to me when I called to inquire about a tune for my car. "Yeah we can tune it, it won't take long" well here it is almost a month and my car is still not running. I had it towed to Ford today. They sent me 2 tunes over the weekend and the first one the engine would stall out and die every single time I stopped! So they sent me a second one that I thought was good. Well I loaded it up Saturday and did 2 WOT data-logging pulls and parked it. I did not want to pound on it (Running E-85) just in case the numbers were off. Well I took it out Sunday just to test drivability and it died 35 miles from the house and would not start so I had to have it towed back to my house. So I returned it to stock a re-loaded the tune, now the car starts idles for 20 seconds and the CEL pops up and the vehicle goes into limp mode the code is P0100 (MAF Sensor). Ford Racing said the MAF Frequency is way too low and it needs to be adjusted. I emailed Liz today and asked for a refund. At this point I'm fed up with the customer service and the tune.......They have not given me anything that works. I was given a email address of the "Owner" and told to email him directly. I'm done with BBR honestly. This is my DD and they have ****ed me long enough. They sure were quick to take $350.00 from me. If anyone here knows the owner of BBR could you PM me. I have a email address I just want to make sure its valid before I send it.

BADGT

Established Member
I have only spoke to Chris through email, I have never spoke to him on the phone. When the car did the pulls it seemed to run good. Drivability was shitty but the WOT pulls were strong. Im not the one to bash someone and their career, so hopefully this will be resolved or I guess I will get a lawyer. I'm not giving anyone $350 for free. Legal services are free for service members.........So time will tell!

Nate the great

Natesvt
Established Member
[email protected] Chris jones. I talk to him but it was hard have to act like u need to ask question about a product that you want to buy only way I got him on the phone even then Liz huffed and. Slammed the phone on the desk

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
this sounds messed up from the very beginning. every time I have been tuned on E85 I have started the tuning process on regular pump gas, and then the final tune is sent ready to go for E85.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
For BBR, I would still drop them. What's going to happen, will be the need for a retune due to a mod a few months from now and BBR will do the exact same crap. This is how Mike Rousch was too. You would get great service, pay, and service went away. After a month of emails you threaten to get a refund and magically he returns, gives you an update, and don't hear from him again.
so those types of tuners....stay far away.
I've deal with Lund, VMP and AED. They respond quick or at least the next day. If they are busy, they will give you a heads up unlike these others.

BADGT

Established Member
Yeah, most defiantly going with another tune. I still have not received shit from BBR...Only a fu$king start up tune. My car has been sitting for over a month. It's all good, Chris has what's coming to him and he does not even know it. Him and his mom Liz.....They own the company and its sad as a business owner you can't own up to your mistakes or take care of your customers...Especially when you take a large amount of money from someone and don't give them anything in return. In my eyes he's a thief and lier. I hope he can dyno tune cars in a wheelchair.........

BADGT

Established Member
I contacted a tuner this morning and he said he would be more than happy to fix Chris's mistake. And it's a well known tuner that was recommended. I just want it to be known what kind of company BBR is and I don't want anyone else getting ripped off. I said I would not bash a tuner or disrespect anyone but Chris has gone to far. He made promises to fix this situation and he has not held up his end.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Dang sorry you had to experience that. Hope who ever you choose gets you up and running. Lund AED Palm Beach Dyno will take care of you.

Users who are viewing this thread