Bad strip job?

SpeedZ

Established Member
Bad stripe job?

Greetings,

Great community you guys have here; pleased to have found this website! I've been reading it over the past few days and I've already learned a great deal from you folks.

I have a question for my fellow Mustang owners, as this is my first time owning a real sports car and I'm not sure what to expect. I recently purchased a 2016 Ingot Silver GT. In the buying process I mentioned that I wasn't crazy about the color, and to get me into the car the dealership offered to put on black Shelby stripes like the blue ones on the GT350 parked out front, which won me over. They had a third party install them, someone they called the "mad striper" because he's supposedly the best or something. That made me chuckle.

Fast forward to today, well the car looks fantastic (I'll have to take broad shots of her later) except for where the stripes meet the spoiler. In the pictures, you can see that the stripes don't touch and appear to stop short of the spoiler and then pick back up again after a small gap. It bugs me, and I was wondering is this normal for vinyl stripes? Should I be upset about it, and go back to the dealership and ask them to have the guy redo the work? Thank you for any advice, and I apologize if these pics are too big.

nqe0ht.jpg

143jdz5.jpg

pqhci.jpg

2ilms8k.jpg

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Redo. Seems either the stripe is too short or it was cut too short. I wouldn't accept that.

SpeedZ

Established Member
I appreciate the advice fellas. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the work and the guy who did it agreed to cover the gap with more vinyl to make it look flush. I have no idea if that's how you fix this stuff and hopefully it doesn't look like ass when he's done. He said "I've been doing this 30 years and no one has ever complained before, but I want you to be happy with it."

CobraFast1

Established Member
Actually, you might want to rethink having it fixed. This is normal for a stripe job. If you don't have the slight gap, vibration of the spoiler or other components will eventually make the vinyl pick up and peel back. If on the front lower bumper, the vinyl goes under the black grill border; vibration and wind erosion will fray it where they touch. I talked with many stripers, as I'm doing racing stripes on my 2016 GT and they all said the same thing.

If you want a seamless job, better consider painting and removing the spoiler and front and rear bumpers for painting. It requires painting the stripes, then clear coating the entire panel for each to make it look right. I was estimated a cost of $2,200 for the paint method by two reputable collision shops that do this type of work. Vinyl is about 1/4 the cost.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

CobraFast1

Established Member
Actually, you might want to rethink having it fixed. This is normal for a stripe job. If you don't have the slight gap, vibration of the spoiler or other components will eventually make the vinyl pick up and peel back. If on the front lower bumper, the vinyl goes under the black grill border; vibration and wind erosion will fray it where they touch. I talked with many stripers, as I'm doing racing stripes on my 2016 GT and they all said the same thing.

If you want a seamless job, better consider painting and removing the spoiler and front and rear bumpers for painting. It requires painting the stripes, then clear coating the entire panel for each to make it look right. I was estimated a cost of $2,200 for the paint method by two reputable collision shops that do this type of work. Vinyl is about 1/4 the cost.

Hope this helps

I retract my earlier statement. I just had my car striped and it looks great. No white showing. In the front the stripes are wrapped back to the underside of the hood and on the radiator cowling they wrap over and then behind the rubber seal, so it looks like a paint job. This guy was great and I stayed there the entrie time, so I could spot any mistakes or misalignment. It worked out great.

So I stand corrected about my earlier statement.

Users who are viewing this thread