@#$% bad rock chips on my black termi!!!

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Was on my way home from work yesterday, had a jerkoff in his new Chevy Duramax towing a trailer tailgating me so I let him go around me (dual lane highway, very busy on Fridays) I then see his empty trailer has clumps of mud and rocks on it so I immediately back off and get in the right lane to pass him, as soon as I go around him he speeds back up and thinks I'm racing him or something so I get up to 85mph to stay out front but he keeps coming so I give up in fear of a ticket and get stuck behind him with traffic all around me, then all of a sudden Boom! he hits a rough bridge and throws rocks and mud all back over my Cobra!! I had nowhere to go and just hear it peppering the front of my car :cuss::cuss:

I get home and survey the damage, several real nice size rock chips in the hood, front bumper and drivers side fender!! All the way down to the white primer! Please tell me I can fix this, I cannot afford to get the car painted whatsoever right now. Any of you detail pros care to offer some tips on touching up??

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
get some touch up paint matched at a auto paint supplier. Build up the chips with coats using a special chip brush you can usually buy at the auto body supply stores, let dry in between coats until its not tacky. After last coat the chip repair should be raised a little above the existing paint. After about 12 hours ( assuming car is kept in a garage) wipe the chip with a small sponger soaked in acetone, be gentle.I fixed a couple on my car and I can hardly see the repair and I know where to look, no one else can even tell.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Thanks ZY, I've been reading up on this and see where many say to build up the chip slowly with several light "dabs" and then use 2000 grit paper and wetsand it even with the factory paint, then apply polish and use a buffer to blend. I'm scared to death to use sand paper on my black car but the logic to this method sounds excellent.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Not done yet, I've filled the chips with touch up and got them built up, I wet sanded a small one and got it nice and level and looking good but I don't have a high speed buffer to polish it back out, got a buddy thats gonna show me the ropes and lend me his buffer Friday evening so I'm hoping to have it all repaired by the weekend.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
after it was built up if you let it sit about 12 hours you could have wiped with acetone and you wouldnt notice it. Acetone levels it with the paint and no need to wet sand, just let cure another couple days and buff.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
When you guys say "build up" the paint chips... do you just mean fill in the dings with paint until the level is slightly higher than the surrounding unharmed paint so that you can wipe with acetone or dry sand even?

Mustang289

Established Member
My son is an auto body / painter and lives in WV right outside Charles Town. Does side work, send me a PM if you're interested in talking to him. He can let you know the best way to fix it.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
after it was built up if you let it sit about 12 hours you could have wiped with acetone and you wouldnt notice it. Acetone levels it with the paint and no need to wet sand, just let cure another couple days and buff.

I tried the acetone wipe and ended up removing all the touch up from the chips! I think I probably let the paint cure too long though.

My buddy I work with was a paint & body man for Ford, he gave me a hand with it and we got it looking pretty good. Of course I know where to look and can spot the repair but overall it looks pretty good.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
with the acetone, dont wipe to hard. Just lightly and increase pressure if its not smoothing it out. Paint should cure 12 hours since last coat before doing it too. Also the type of cloth you use as a impact. A sponge similar to a mr clean magic eraser is what I used, dont use a micro fiber or cotten cloth.

04gtblkvert

Established Member
If you have a buffer wetsand (3m 2000 grit) down the spots lightly (be careful because you can burn the paint), then touch up the spots wait an hour an half, then wetsand the spots again till the spots you touch up are flush and then wool pad, polish it and then swirl it.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
If you have a buffer wetsand (3m 2000 grit) down the spots lightly (be careful because you can burn the paint), then touch up the spots wait an hour an half, then wetsand the spots again till the spots you touch up are flush and then wool pad, polish it and then swirl it.

This is exactly what we done, turned out pretty good for the most part. My car is black so getting them perfect just ain't gonna happen but its much better than all those white specs all across the front of the car!

I've still yet to figure out why in the hell ford uses WHITE primer on a black car, the slightest chip and it shows!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
OP, I feel your pain. I had this dumb bitch in front of me fixing her hair in her vanity mirror and not paying attention to anything in front of her...all of a sudden she swerves off the road (at 80 mph, mind you) and there was a huge explosion of metal and concrete. Apparently, a wheel barrow used by a mason or concrete finisher had fallen off of a truck and was in the middle of the road...she ran over it and sent concrete flying everywhere. I wasn't following closely, but I had very little time to react since I couldn't see what was in front of her. I've now got one large chip and several small ones on my hood thanks to her lack of responsibility. Where are the cops when you need them? She's lucky she didn't kill herself and everyone around her. If I had been in my Terminator instead of my 12 year old GT, I probably would have chased her down and curb stomped her.

You're a brave man to use 2000 grit on black paint, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Trust me. I was scared to death once I seen the result of 2000 grit on my black termi!! Thank god my buddy here at work is one hell of a paint/body guy...

Users who are viewing this thread