Bad O2 sensor

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Yesterday on my way to work, my Shelby was acting up. I didn't notice it, but when I went to run an errand later in the morning, I saw that it threw an MIL. It had 2 codes that I didn't write down, but both were related to the bank 2, upper oxygen sensor. My car is a little over 2.5 years old with only 5,000 miles. Doesn't this sound a little early to lose an oxygen sensor? It's a '12 with the wideband sensors. Replacement sensor has been ordered.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
No, I haven't. However, in doing some research I'm using an oil with high ZDDP and zinc and phosphorus appear to be bad news for oxygen sensors. The sensors are only $48 from Tasca, so I may just put a few thousand miles on this oil change and change out the sensors when it's time to change the oil. I have an extra sensor lying around that I replaced when I tweak the nut removing it to put in an off-road pipe some time back.

lawdude

Established Member
Which oil? I've used two that have high zinc and phosphorus. Valvoline racing (for break-in) and Castrol Edge 5W50 (using it now). I'll watch out for an early exit of my O2 sensors.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine has a new engine too and I used Joe Gibbs break in oil for the first 500 miles. I filled it with Lucas Oil's Hot Rod and Classic formulation on the re-fill. Since I wasn't running cats, I figured it wouldn't hurt to run an oil with high ZDDP. Not that I really need it.

Thanks, aclass. I guess they're not fail proof.

Van@RevanRacing

The O2's on 2011+ GT500's are very sensitive A/F meters. Sometimes the orientation of the O2 can be conducive to collecting moisture which can cause premature failure of the sensor. Regardless of fuel moisture will collect and more so on E-85 applications.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I would bet that those that DD their cars probably have less problems with o2 sensors failing. Storage probably doesn't help o2 sensors, not that I would drive my car in the winter I just went through :cryying: :mj: :bs:

aclass

Established Member
Interesting heatsoaked12. I DD my car except for bad weather which typically occurs in Dec-Jan or Jan-Feb here in VA. It failed after sitting in the garage for 4-5 weeks this Winter.

Users who are viewing this thread