bad idle

fly boy

Established Member
I have a 99 gt with aftercooled vortech. The darn thing likes to surge at idle at stop lights or stoping in general. Even if it doen't stall it smells of fuel. I have tried a dyno tuned diablo and steeda comp tune on their dyno. The thing still does it. I have a anderson power pipe, bullitt intake and exhaust. Steeda tune has a 80mm with 30lbers, Diablo had 90mm with 42lbers. Check engine light still on even after a pollution control equipment reinstalled. Anyone have any ideas. The car is a daily driver and this problem is embarassing. Specially when it gets 425 rwhp.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
My cobra does the same thing. I took it the tuner here and he hasnt really figured it out. The problem w/ mine also is my car will just die on me. So its really imbarassing. But i replaced my 02 sensors that helped a little bit. But it has to do w/ the air ti fuel ratio and the maf sensor. So if you figure it out please let me know.

fly boy

Established Member
I will definitely let ya know. The steeda program is scanable by ford so if nothing else I might have to go to them. Mine stall regularly after it's warmed up. One tuner with the diablo has tried to ajust the low rpm and idle mixture but didn't help. Let me know if ya find anything

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
I'm a noob at mustangs but do your cars have a Mass Airflow sensor?

you may wanna get an AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) and an AFC(Air/Feul Controller) and a <b>functional</b> A/F ratio guage not one of the ricer light shows

Last edited:

fly boy

Established Member
The afr gauge is a good idea but, the adj. fuel regulator as far won't work on the returnless fuel injected mustangs(1999+). Unless I'm mistaken and some how other than inside the computer is the way to adjust on these models, unfotunately. On previous model years you couldadd a adj. reg. because they were of the return style fuel systems.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
yea im runnin a maf sensor my tuner said he could play w/ that and see whats up but hes sooo busy. So far w/ the new o2 sensors its runnin alot better.

Users who are viewing this thread