Bad Experience - Lesson RE-learned

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
This is pretty much an known fact that most of us know about octane enhancers BUT.......in trying to save some gas money I used Outlaw octane booster and what I intended to be 87 octane. Instead out of habit and being
sidetracked in conversation while filling the tank I put in 93 Octane in the 06 Mustang GT that is tuned for 93 octane use. Then I drove to my destination 160 miles away.

Within a 1/2 hour I realized something wasn't right. My normal gas mileage averages 23.8 mpg. My readout while driving dropped the average to 19.1 for highway driving. I also went WOT a couple times and noticed hessitantcy in throttle response and jerking in 3rd gear as I hit 60-65 mph and in 4th gear when hitting 80 mph. At one point the car

In essense the car just acted like a dog on a steady diet of tainted dog food. On the return trip home I tried replacing the gas with 93 octgane every quarter of a tank use. I tried also burning off the plugs in case they were fouled. I disconnected the battery for 12 hours and touched the leads
to reset the computer. The next morning I then drove the car another 118 miles and eveything was fine for about 17 miles then the same thing started happening again. On the trip back I drove around until all the gas was drained out and replaced it with a full tank of 93 octane. Then I drove the next day another 118 miles and it still acted like a dog.

So I bought new Motorcraft long plugs and replaced all the plugs. Every single pulled plug electrode tip was either red,orange, brown or black. After replacing the plugs teh car finally ran normal again.

A quick word regarding pulling the plugs on 2006 Mustang GT. I have read nothing how there are major problems when trying to pul the plugs on a 2006 Mustang GT. Supposedly after turning a plug 1/8 out it tends to seize;
Or alledgedly there is a thin foil-like wrapper near the threads that can drop back into the cylinder when pulling the plug out; Or that you need a special tool that will avoid disturbing the foil wrap; Or that they are down in tunnels where you cannot see the plug at all. All I can say to this is that every one of these is"BS". These plugs were the easiest plugs to see, turn-out, pull, prep new and install. I saw no foil wrap the entire time. The only special
tool was a different size ratchet knuckle. So don't even hesitate to pull the plugs yourself.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Why would higher than 93 octane cause a problem? Are you thinking the octane booster itself is crap?

Where did you get your gas?

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
StStang0702 said:
you lost me in what your trying to say man...are you saying your car ran better on 87 with booster.....im not following what your saying

I thought that despite the computer being tuned for 93 octane that as long as the octane level after the booster was >= 93 that it would burn OK. Wrong!!!! It didn't run good at all (period). It had to be the ingredients of the Outlaw brand octane booster that did the plugs in.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
Why would higher than 93 octane cause a problem? Are you thinking the octane booster itself is crap?

Where did you get your gas?

Yes I think the Outlaw brand octane booster is crap. I got my gas at Mobile and Gulf stations in all the instances I was putting gas in.

The higher the octane level in the gas the greater the spark advance must be to burn the gas efficiently. Apparently the spark was not enough to combust the fuel. In cruise it ran a little rough. It was when I went WOT that backfiring and jerking would occur. It was just a total mess everytime I tried to go WOT.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
It gets even worse....

CobraKindaGuy said:
This is pretty much an known fact that most of us know about octane enhancers BUT.......in trying to save some gas money I used Outlaw octane booster and what I intended to be 87 octane. Instead out of habit and being
sidetracked in conversation while filling the tank I put in 93 Octane in the 06 Mustang GT that is tuned for 93 octane use. Then I drove to my destination 160 miles away.

Within a 1/2 hour I realized something wasn't right. My normal gas mileage averages 23.8 mpg. My readout while driving dropped the average to 19.1 for highway driving. I also went WOT a couple times and noticed hessitantcy in throttle response and jerking in 3rd gear as I hit 60-65 mph and in 4th gear when hitting 80 mph. At one point the car

In essense the car just acted like a dog on a steady diet of tainted dog food. On the return trip home I tried replacing the gas with 93 octgane every quarter of a tank use. I tried also burning off the plugs in case they were fouled. I disconnected the battery for 12 hours and touched the leads
to reset the computer. The next morning I then drove the car another 118 miles and eveything was fine for about 17 miles then the same thing started happening again. On the trip back I drove around until all the gas was drained out and replaced it with a full tank of 93 octane. Then I drove the next day another 118 miles and it still acted like a dog.

So I bought new Motorcraft long plugs and replaced all the plugs. Every single pulled plug electrode tip was either red,orange, brown or black. After replacing the plugs teh car finally ran normal again.

A quick word regarding pulling the plugs on 2006 Mustang GT. I have read nothing how there are major problems when trying to pul the plugs on a 2006 Mustang GT. Supposedly after turning a plug 1/8 out it tends to seize;
Or alledgedly there is a thin foil-like wrapper near the threads that can drop back into the cylinder when pulling the plug out; Or that you need a special tool that will avoid disturbing the foil wrap; Or that they are down in tunnels where you cannot see the plug at all. All I can say to this is that every one of these is"BS". These plugs were the easiest plugs to see, turn-out, pull, prep new and install. I saw no foil wrap the entire time. The only special
tool was a different size ratchet knuckle. So don't even hesitate to pull the plugs yourself.

Despite new plugs I still felt a very slight hesitation and miss going up the gears and a slight imbalance in the sound during idle. Found out last night that my 93 octane tune was completely screwed up with numbers that seem to indicate the ECU attempted to adjust but just couldn't get it right.

I went way rich (11.3) though it had been tuned to maintain a 13.1 A/F ratio. In any case I had to get a new tune and now it runs great. So performance and power things are finally where they should be with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread