Bad ECT

persico

Established Member
Just a heads up. Not to long ago I replaced the original ECT sensor on my 01 GT terminator swap engine (03 engine) with one from Autozone. It was their best sensors and had a lifetime warranty (I think). Anyway the car seemed to run fine initially but after several months the car would not Idle when cold and more recently would ping under light throttle. After it warmed up it was slightly better.

I ran a OHM'S resistance test (I didn't run a voltage test) on the sensor and it appeared to be in spec or close. Long story short I replaced it with a Motorcraft unit and after disconnecting the battery for a short time the car started right up and ran like a champ. No more ping (detonation) on part throttle. I've tested it a few times since then and it runs great. I've been doing this stuff for a long time and should have known to use OEM sensors but didn't. Next time it's OEM for sure with any sensor.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
OEM is always best if you can still get it. The ect is a very important sensor and can cause all sorts of drivability issues. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

persico

Established Member
Well I hate to admit when I'm wrong but the problem ended up being a dirty mass air meter sensor. Cleaned the sensor and the pinging is completely gone. What's weird is that when I first changed the ECT sensor, the car ran well but after several days it came back. Then I remembered I hadn't cleaned the meter in a loooooong time. Anyway the Autozone sensor seems to have been fine. I hope this helps someone with similar issues. Again the car would not idle cold and would ping under light throttle. Now it's running like an animal again!

Users who are viewing this thread