Bad day...

sir-blah

Established Member
So I was getting some food today and when I was leaving the parking lot somebody backed in to me. More like went full tilt and slammed my rear passenger side. Hard enough to make my car jump about two feet over. Come to find out the kid who hit me has no drivers license and expired insurance. The police wouldn't come to take a report because it happened in a parking lot that is considered private property! This sucks. There are several things that are not good with this whole thing.

1 I told the police that he had no license, they STILL wouldn't send anybody.
2. I called the insurance they gave me and they told me they would "look into it" but as soon as I tried to get the kid to talk to the insurance agent he some how forgot how to speak English! The agent wouldn't take any info from him because he didn't speak Spanish!
3. I don't have the time, or especially the cash to fix this now.
:cuss:
4. My car is smashed and their POS Corsica has nothing more than a 2 inch scratch on the bumper.
5. It took me 3 visits and almost 2 months in the shop to get my alignment fixed, and now its all over the place again!

AHHHHHHHH.:cuss:

Orange Poison

Established Member
I think Mr. 9mm is gonna be looking for some Spanish speaking kid

Sorry man, about your misforture.....I hope it will get better.

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by FEARSNO1
do you have uninsured motorist on your insurance? i sure hope so
best of luck to you

Yeah, I have full coverage, but I have had to make a couple of claims this year. One because my jeep was stolen (Parts of it were recovered) and another was from vandalism, though I didn't actually get any money out of the vandalism claim. I just makes me want to hit something because my insurance is going to here about this and I was the one who got hit.

One hit deserves another though I guess, he was wearing a work shirt, maybe I should stop by and say hi... :bash:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I have had this happen to me...and I learned my lesson. The next time it does, just hold the kid down and start rifling through his pockets looking for cash. If he doesn't have any, just take his keys and tell him to walk...you're going to sell his car for parts to fix yours.

It's called Mexican Justice, and I plan to bring it across the border here into America. I'm sick and tired of this stuff.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
You should have told the cops to come because they were about to have a dead Mexican on their hands if they didn't.

I've never heard of them not coming because it was in a parking lot.
Over here I saw two cops pull a guy over in a parking lot so it does work that way.

Figures.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Private property? BS! What is your insurance company saying about the situation overall though?

Joe D

Established Member
In VA, we have uninsured motorist coverage on our plans for things like this. I once had to use it, although the deductible was $200 and the kid had no intention of ever paying, I found out the VA DMV had a "financial responsibility" section. When I sent in the drivers info, they suspended his license until he started a payment plan with the state, and the first $200 went to me to cover the deductible I had paid out of pocket!

Check with your state DMV, they may be able to help.

HTHs, and really sorry to hear about that kind of accident......

Joe

rust0r

Established Member
if he works at the place you were getting food (where the accident happened) talk to manager about the employee and what happened in HIS(business)'s parking lot, its a long shot but still better than paying for it yourself

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Yep, it's true. The cops only have jurisdiction on private property when the property owner files a complaint. I was picking up a new car some years back ('74 Plymouth Satellite w/ 440 U4A package) when some yahoo drove through the lot to do a U-turn and backed into my brand new car. I stopped him from leaving, and the dealer called the cops. When they arrived, I got the same story -- can't do anything 'cause it was private property. The dealer's GM came out and personally insisted on filing a complaint. The body shop man gave me an estimate of $500, and the man (from another state) gave me a check. After he left, the body shop popped out the dent and rubbed it out for no charge. I ran to the bank and cashed the check within the hour. Later that day, the guy who hit me called to tell me he had stopped payment on the check. Boy was he pissed when I told him it was already cashed! I split the $500 with the body shop guys who worked on my car.

I'd be careful about giving in to the temptation to use "excessive force" because while the law cares not a whit about your property, they will get all over your a$$ if you assault someone.

Wouldn't you get insurance coverage if you reported it damaged in a parking lot by persons unknown, instead of trying to recover from the irresponsible idiot? You'd probably pay a deductible, but it should be covered.

rust0r

Established Member
you could aways just say you had it parked in a parking lot and you came out and someone had smacked you up (hit and run up here in canada, non fault accident), unless of course you gave the cops your license #/car desc when u called them, then they might nab you for insurance fraud,

its really frusterating to get your car smacked and the other guy to be a dick about paying up for something he did carlessly, tell that punk he can either fix your car or get ran over with it lol......

p.s. good luck fixin it up

sir-blah

Established Member
Well, My insurance took the guys plate, and I told them where he worked. (And I kind of went by his car and ummmm, found and insurance card while he was at work, expired like they said, but at least its something to go on) Gave that all to my insurance and they said they would see what they could do... Guess I will just have to wait and see now.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Don't get all worked up over this. You are not at fault, you have plenty of info on the guy for your insurance to track him down, and you have uninsured motorist coverage. If the repair amount is high, your insurance company will go after this guy for payment with their lawyers, that's what they do. And, it will not count towards you as a claim as it is not your fault.

Let your insurance handle this, they have lawyers on staff just for this purpose. Don't do anything crazy like track this guy down or anything. It will all work out.

stevieb

Established Member
I would go back and take the rear plate off his car. How the hell can he drive around with no plate? hed get stopped constantly. You never know he may have warrants or get deported, That doesnt help you monitarily but thats Poetic justice"

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
sorry to heat about that....I have family that was hit by a guy who did not speak english.. It also took place in a private lot.
They ended u0p having the car fixed better than before (remved other dents and scratches). Depends on the person. If you drive w/o ins you should be willing to pay the price if you do something stupid. Guy was jerk if he did'nt offer to pay.

Guys, you know there are probably a lot of latinos on this forum....you guys may want to chill with the deporting and dead mexican stuff. There are other nationalities that speak spanish u know.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread