Bad Crankshaft Sensor & Tests?

jivegajr

Established Member
I go to leave for work this morning and the Cobra cranks, idles rough for a couple of seconds and dies. I try cranking it again and it sounds like it wants start but then changes from a normal cranking sound to a much faster sounding one. Could no spark or fuel from no CKP sensor cause that type of cranking sound?

The only thing that comes to mind that makes me think it's crankshaft sensor related is that the car died on me one day after filling up at a gas station. I started it just fine after having driven 30 miles or so. As I go to leave in 1st gear, it just stalled. I started it again and it drove fine on the way home. Hadn't had any problems until this morning.

I came home this evening and started looking at things. I've got vacuum and fuel gauges in the pillar. Fuel was at 29-30 psi while the fuel pump primed and would jump to 50-60 psi while cranking. I disconnected/reconnected the crankshaft sensor and still had trouble starting it. On my final try, I cranked for what seemed like 10 seconds and started to press the gas pedal and bingo! It starts... However, it was idling pretty rough and almost dying without stabbing the gas every few seconds. While it was running, it was smoking out of the tailpipes. I let it sit for 5 mins or so and then took it for a spin. It drove fine and seem to settle/idle fine at stops. Came back home and shut it off and started up again with no problem. I've noticed a bit of a rougher idle here and there but not quite like a misfire. No CELs.

Do the CKP sensors go bad often on our 4V motors? Are there any tests for these sensors without an oscilloscope? Anyone else have/had issues like this? Also, I noticed a little grime/oil mix around the sensor but nothing that was on the connector or wires. Has anyone had a leak from the sensor area itself? There were no other sources of leaks around it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jivegajr

Established Member
Forgot to mention. Car is a clean 98 coupe with 38k on the clock. Mods are:

- C&L cold air pipe (stock MAF with aftermarket filter)
- BBK 62mm throttle body
- 4.10 gears
- Ford Racing shorties
- Bassani catted X
- Mac catback

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I doubt its the crank sensor.

What aftermarket air filter is on there? If its a K&N it is possible that the MAF element is covered in some of the filter oil. That could cause some problems.
MAF sensor cleaners are available at the various parts stores. Try that.

jivegajr

Established Member
It's an S&B unit and is still in new/pre-oiled condition. I'll try cleaning the MAF. I do as regular maintenance on my GT. Good suggestion.
084fd454cb7af22c33af77a972c3a74c.jpg

jivegajr

Established Member
How did you make out?
Nothing yet. But it's he first order of business tomorrow morning. I'll post my results after cleaning the MAF sensor. I'll also reset the PCM by unplugging the battery for an hour or so.

jivegajr

Established Member
I removed the MAF sensor and sprayed it lightly a few times with MAF cleaner. It looked pretty spotless before cleaning but since I had it out, why not do it. Put it back in and fired up nicely. The car idled very smoothly at around 1k being that it was from an overnight cold start.

I took for a spin to allow it to fully heat up. After a bit, it started idling at around 700-800 rpm and that's when I noticed the rougher idle. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not quite as rough like a misfire but has the same characteristic feel to it. Best way I can describe it is, it feels like the car is "lightly bouncing" all over the place. However, the car seems to accelerate normally, light and heavy thrrotle.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid due to the stalling and my CKP sensor concerns, but I feel like I do know what a smooth idle should feel like on this car.

jivegajr

Established Member
Sounds like that's where I'm headed. In terms of the ignition system, it's got the original everything installed. I'll start with plugs and work my way back towards the coils. I'll eventually replace all but like most everyone, I want to know what the problem was before fixing. Rock Auto, here I come! I'll update the thread with my progress and hopefully a smoother idle .

Tillerman77

Established Member
I also swapped out my coils for some new motocraft coils,with that combination of motocraft wires,plugs and coils. It idles like a dream
+1. Probably a good idea to steer clear of FRPP wires though, as there have been many complaints in the past couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread