Bad Clutch Release Lever

silvercoffin

Established Member
Has anyone ever had the clutch release lever/fork go bad?

They sell new ones so they must go bad occasionally. I am trying to figure out why I have intermittent sloppy shifts and real problems at the track.

I noticed that my release lever pulls in and out. In one position it kind of locks up and wont move forward and back like its supposed to. After I loosen it up the car shifts great when I first start driving. Just hitting a bump would cause it to shift.

My mechanic made a weird comment about the fork actually bumping the inspection cover when he first put it back on.

Thoughts?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The fork can wear out, but it isn't common. Usually lack of lubrication causes a failure at the pivot ball. It can fail other ways, but that is the most common.
The binding may be caused by the TOB not sliding on the guide tube easily enough. There again, insufficient lubrication may be the cause. But in this case, excessive wear could be a problem too.

Either problem will require the removal of the transmission to correct.

Dana

silvercoffin

Established Member
ahhh

Thanks man...That sucks... after two rpms trans were installed and I payed for two installs...the first one had a clicking sound...i asked my mechanic but he said he was sure it wasnt the shift fork. SOmething weird is going on with it.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I was weekly drag racing this car. I have broken other unusual things like the bottom idler pulley...TWICE..... so nothing would surprise me.

All I know...is that the car intermitenly shifts sloppy on the street and I have managed to get it into 3rd at the strip once out of 6 attempts since my new RPM Level V T 56

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Sounds like your mechanic didn't get the release lever properly hooked onto the pivot ball. That would also explain the weird geometry that he saw with the fork hitting the bellhousing.

silvercoffin

Established Member

yeah my mechanic just told me again that he doesnt think it has anything to do with the fork. He says that he thinks it would still shift whether it had no slack in the shift cable or 1/4 inch.. Thats not what I have heard from most other people/ I guess I need to take it elsehwere to get checked out.

He thinks its messed up synchros....but the key here is intermittent problem.

I find it hard to believe that a trans from RPM came with messed up synchros, the vette guys at the track think very highly of RPM

I guess Ill get someone else to check it out and if they dont think anythign is wrong, ill sell the car... This is rediculous now.. I spent $3000 on a trans and clutches this summer and sitll cant get down the 1/4 mile??????

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Im going with incorrect install on this one. Im assuming most of your stuff is recently installed, so i dont think your tob is trashed. If its binding your tob may be installed incorrectly. I would suggest the pivot ball not having smooth movement or being damaged, but its kind of hard to get that one installed incorrectly.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Im going with incorrect install on this one. Im assuming most of your stuff is recently installed, so i dont think your tob is trashed. If its binding your tob may be installed incorrectly. I would suggest the pivot ball not having smooth movement or being damaged, but its kind of hard to get that one installed incorrectly.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
He says that he thinks it would still shift whether it had no slack in the shift cable or 1/4 inch.. Thats not what I have heard from most other people/ I guess I need to take it elsehwere to get checked out.

These cars will definitely have a problem shifting if the clutch isn't adjusted correctly especially if the car has an aftermarket clutch installed.

Maybe you need to take it to someone that is more familiar with these cars.

silvercoffin

Established Member

yeah good idea...I am going to try WIcked Motorsports in SOuth Jersey
JDM takes three months to get you in and last time I complained to them about my shifting problems they drive it down the street and said it seemed fine! This time I want someone to take it apart and look everything over...

Sucks I guess my season is over. I guess ill still go to JDM Day at etown friday since its free and Ill try to really tighten up the cable even more and see if that makes a difference. Didnt seem to wed night but ill take all the slack out of it.

JDM said no slack but not too tight? WTH? lol I tried that last season before getting a new trans and the clutch slipped bad when i shifted to 2nd because it was too tight.

I think I am going to take out the LDC Free play kit. I dont understand the need for that kit if you arent supposed to have any free play in the cable anyway?

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If you tighten the cable up tight, it will slip, just like the last time. There should be about 1/8 inch, maybe a little less, between the TOB and the PP fingers. Too loose and it doesn't shift right and too tight and it will slip, not to mention the possible damage to the TOB.
Bottom line, there should be some slack in the cable when it is adjusted correctly. This will allow the fingers of the PP to grow as the RPMs increase.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Well ill try one more time at jdm day.

The problem I have is that i bring my car somewhere they drive it and say its fine and wont work on it. I cant find someone that will take my money to take it apart and check everything out.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Well ill try one more time at jdm day.

The problem I have is that i bring my car somewhere they drive it and say its fine and wont work on it. I cant find someone that will take my money to take it apart and check everything out.
It's a little late, but whenever I install a new clutch (or more correctly, pay someone to install it), I bring along a new clutch fork, pivot, bearing retainer tube, and pilot bearing. I have found that it's cheaper to do it all at one time, rather than take a chance on having to pull the transmission again later (before the clutch is worn out) because of a $35 part.

That said, if you take it in, have all of those parts with you. If you want to skimp, just replace the ones which are obviously worn, and save the rest for the next clutch (those parts have a long shelf life). Explain what you are experiencing, and ask them to take it apart and replace the bad parts.

Actually, since you live in New Jersey, I'm completely shocked at your experience. Whenever I'm up there visiting the In-Laws, I have no trouble at all getting someone to take my money. No trouble at all. :D

silvercoffin

Established Member

YEah i know! Thats why im frustrated! LOL I wanted to take it to a shop that works on mustangs and most of the high perf. shops wont fix something unless they can tell its broken.. They are worried that you wil say they didnt fix it..

I am taking it somewhere and just asking them to change the pilot, throw out and fork and make sure everything looks ok with the clutch. Im not gonna tell them whats wrong.

But if there is a JDM Track day next friday, Jim Jr said one of the guys from the shop will be happy to drive my car down the track to see what im talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread