Bad "clank" in front suspension

SVT95

Established Member
Hey everyone. I have a weird noise coming from my front end and I can't seem to tell where it's coming from. Whenever I'm driving and I hit a bump, you can hear a metal on metal "clank" come from the drivers side wheel well. Now, when I apply the brakes, the sound goes away. I took my tire off and everything seems tight and no matter what I can not recreate the sound while I have the car in the air. The only thing that was a little loose was the caliper but it only moves about an 1/8". I looked at the caliper closer and compaired it to the other side and it seems that everything is in place. It's becoming such an annoying problem the even now when I drive you hear a constant clank until I put on the brakes. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks and this is on a 1995 cobra.

SVT95

Established Member
I will check those just the be sure but when I apply the brakes, the noise stops. That leads me to believe it wouldn't be the sway bar.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
It's the clips! I had the same problem and it took me months to fix it. :nonono: Lazy + school + work + gf= No dice!

SVT95

Established Member
It's the clips! I had the same problem and it took me months to fix it. :nonono: Lazy + school + work + gf= No dice!

lol. Mine's been this way for a while too. pretty much the same schedule as you but replace the gf w/ beer.

SVT95

Established Member
well now that I look at little closer at the caliper, i noticed there are no anti-rattle clips at all. Luckily I work at the Ford Dealership so I'll be sure to pick some up tomorrow while I'm at work. Thanks for the help guys.

SVT95

Established Member
well I feel like an idiot now. I got the parts for it but I can't tell if it's the right clips and how they are supposed to clip on. I compared it to the other side and it looks way different. I searched to find pictures on the internet of it and keep getting different pictures. Does anyone have a picture of one or know what it's supposed to look like and how does it clip on the brake pad? Thanks.

TIMMONS

ZZZ
Established Member
if no one else gets to it before me ill at the very minimum post pics tomm. im gonna try to get u a video though becasue i know from experience videos are better than pics :beer:

SVT95

Established Member
sorry, kids been sick so i havent had time to do anything here lately...they're asleep now!!! :banana:...but theese pix should help you if u havent figured it out by now http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-278/436861-front-brakes.html

Thanks for the post. It looks like from the pictures they gave me the wrong clips, so I don't feel as dumb now for not being able to get them to fit. I'll dig into it in the next couple days and see exactly what clips I need.

TIMMONS

ZZZ
Established Member
well if u need brake pads as well as the clips u could buy the duralast c-max golds...got mine from autozone for like 55$ i think it was...lifetime warranty and they come with the right clips...just a suggestion

bkaul

Established Member
I had the "clank" continue even with new, correctly installed clips ... new pads solved the problem. I probably could've gone a few more months before the pads were completely worn down, but fixing the noise was worth changing 'em a little early.

SVT95

Established Member
I would change them but they are pretty new. They have a lot of life left on them. As for the pads at autozone, I saw them pull these clips out of the box for those same pads but they just look completely different from what I even saw in the write-up.

[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=993907]Front Cobra brakes - Rubber "Noise Reducer" Needed? - Corral Forums[/ame]

they don't look anything like those. I'm trying to find a picture of the ones I have.

Ok, found em. Ford Mustang Cobra Caliper Brake Pad Hardware Clips:eBay Motors (item 120267749690 end time Dec-21-09 12:31:27 PST)

I know this lists theses as being the right ones, but still doesn't make sense on how they fit on. Or maybe I'm just being retarded. I'm probably going to go with the retarded one so i'm going to check them again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread