Bad alternator?

res0n0xg

Established Member
I was noticing over the last couple of weeks, driving here and there my lights dimming a little bit, sometimes the car would not start right up, etc. so I kinda figured it was the battery. I haven't replaced anything as of yet, however Friday night I had some problems.

The battery light came on after I tried to go WOT a couple times on a service road and had some serious power loss, I'm guessing low voltage to the fuel pumps caused this due to bad batt/alt?

So, I cruise gently back home, and as I'm idling waiting to pull in to my spot, my lights die, I lose ABS, etc. all of a sudden like my batt is completely drained and alternator is dead as a doornail.

The only thing that throws a kink into the mix here is I do have a lower pulley setup and am curious as to anyone that has had alternator issues with a lower pulley setup. I'm worried that I'm over/under spinning the alternator which either caused it to go bad, or simply isn't providing enough voltage.

Last edited:
Could very well be your alternator due to your pulley combo. A lower will require a larger alternator pulley. Its rare for the OEM alternator to last a long time. Mine went out at 43k and many have lost their alternator between 30k - 50k. You'll know for sure by checking the battery and alternator with a multimeter.

From what I've read the battery needs to put out at least 12.4v at idle. I can't remember what the alt should be putting out at idle but I bet you could find that on here with the search function since I've seen it before on here.

Contact Tousley Ford for an OEM alternator. We get 10% off as members. Lowest prices on parts. You can get his username name at the top of the New Edge forum. I got mine for about $228 after sending in my old alternator to cover the $75 core charge.

Users who are viewing this thread