Backwards Cobra Emblems

fatal01SVT

Established Member
So, I picked up my terminator about three weeks ago now and something that has been driving me nuts is that the fender emblems are on backwards.:nonono: (cobra's mouth is facing the rear) I knew about them when i bought it, it is indeed a real cobra and it was never in an accident. The seller told me they were like that when the car was bought in 03. I did a little research and found out it was what the factory workers did when they were less than happy. I can get new emblems and assume that id use the heat gun and fishing line method to remove the backwards ones, but the only thing keeping me from switching them is the fear that being backwards from the factory that the unfaded paint underneath would show when the emblems are placed in the correct orientation. Is this a legitimate concern or just my paranoia? i should also mention that she has 102k on her ticker, and was daily driven in the summer by the previous owner for awhile.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
So, I picked up my terminator about three weeks ago now and something that has been driving me nuts is that the fender emblems are on backwards.:nonono: (cobra's mouth is facing the rear) I knew about them when i bought it, it is indeed a real cobra and it was never in an accident. The seller told me they were like that when the car was bought in 03. I did a little research and found out it was what the factory workers did when they were less than happy. I can get new emblems and assume that id use the heat gun and fishing line method to remove the backwards ones, but the only thing keeping me from switching them is the fear that being backwards from the factory that the unfaded paint underneath would show when the emblems are placed in the correct orientation. Is this a legitimate concern or just my paranoia? lol

Just paranoia. I doubt that it was that way from the factory. And that story about the factory workers seems like a farce, I doubt it would get past QC on the SVT line with backwards emblems. Just swap em, no biggie.

fatal01SVT

Established Member
Just paranoia. I doubt that it was that way from the factory. And that story about the factory workers seems like a farce, I doubt it would get past QC on the SVT line with backwards emblems. Just swap em, no biggie.

you sir have made my day. It had been driving me insane!

big dad

Established Member
Years ago, before many of you were even born, there were two vehicles that Ford produced, the Granada and the Monarch, they both were basically the same model but one was a Mercury and the other a Ford. We (the dealership) use to get them in off the transport all the time with a Monarch emblem on one side and a Granada on the other. It happens, but not as often as it used to.

I doubt that they would have caught it at the factory because they looked at these cars everyday and if they did notice it would let the dealer worry about it later.

You should be okay with the paint, the clear protected the base coat from fading anyway.

Oscar_SVT_Jr

Established Member
i have almost the same probelm. the guy i bought my o3 cobra from replaced the pony on the grille with a newer cobra emblem instead of changing the bracket completely. the cobra is way too big for the grille -_-

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
My 99 cobra had the snakes backwards. I just assumed it was like that from the factory because it was in such good condition. I never switched them.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I've read about this many years ago and the consensus was that some did in fact come off the line that way. If it bothers you (it would bother me also), just use a heat gun and fishing line, or a plastic scraper and take them off then use some adhesive remover to get the rest of the foam/glue off and put some new ones on. No big deal at all.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
The only cobra to come off the factory with it backwards was the 93. When they were being produced, ford/svt only had 1 snake made. So one side was always backwards(drivers) and the passenger side was always correct. Have never heard of a non 93 cobra to have emblems backwards.

speedoflife

Established Member
Mine were also backwards. No accidents. I used a hair dryer and fishing line to remove them. I then affixed new double sides tape to the emblems after scraping the old off. Put them on and they look perfect. And I'm much happier

Users who are viewing this thread