Backward Battery - current measurement

fjules

Established Member
I posted earlier about accidently connecting up my battery backwards. I finally got a chance to continue trying to assess any damage I may have caused. One thing someone suggested was to measure the current draw when the car is off. I put a meter in series with the battery and I measured 165mA. I was told it should be less than 60mA. Has anybody ever measured this?

I still have not been able to track down any distruction from connecting the battery backwards. I really think the smoke I saw when I did it came from the alternator. It may be possible that the additonal 100mA draw I am measuring is from the damage to the alternator?

If anybody gets a chance, please make this measurement and let me know your findings.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
How long was it connected? Normally a reverse hookup will fry anything less than 100 amps.

You probably took out your alt and maybe even some fusible links.

fjules

Established Member
The car runs fine, the fuseable link I see by the fuse box seems like it is in good shape. I did not try to start the car with the battery connected backwards (it was connected for about 10secs because the smoke out of the alternator gave me a big clue of a problem), it makes me wonder how much stuff is really powered when the key is off.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
the computer gets a small feed with the Key off.

I used to work for Interstate batteries and I've seen cars burn down due to reversed batteries.

I know a gentleman who ended up selling his caddy because it needed 5 grand in wiring work after he took out the main harness.

fjules

Established Member
Thanks for the info, that certainly puts me at ease!

I just fired the car up again and let it run, 14.2V measured at the battery and everything seems to be working fine. I hope I just got lucky with this whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread