Backup lights flashing at all times

claybeatz

Established Member
Hey guys, my reverse lights are flickering on and off while driving or in neutral. I figure maybe the sensor on the transmission? If so what would be the part for that? Thanks

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, my reverse lights are flickering on and off while driving or in neutral. I figure maybe the sensor on the transmission? If so what would be the part for that? Thanks
It could be your back up switch, but how do you know? Never guess my friend

*Analyze the problem
*Prove out your solution
*Than fix the problem

This is what I mean as an example watch.

Manual Transmission

The PCM sends a voltage signal to the reversing lamps switch. When the transmission is in REVERSE (R), the voltage signal is routed back to the PCM and the PCM sends a message to the BCM-B indicating the transmission is in reverse.

Did you scan for any Body Control Module B (BCM-B) DTC faults @claybeatz? You might have a short. Check for these faults codes.

• DTC B1277:11 (Reverse Lamp: Circuit Short To Ground) — sets when the BCM-B detects a short to ground from one of the reversing lamp output circuits.
  • DTC B1277:15 (Reverse Lamp: Circuit Short To Battery or Open) — sets when the BCM-B detects an open from both reversing lamp output circuits.

• The reversing lamps are on continuously or flicker
POSIBLE CAUSES:

• Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Reversing lamps switch (manual transmission)
  • Auto-dimming interior mirror
  • PCM
I recommend you take this approach:

1.) Scan car first for possible DTC fault codes
2.) Disconnect switch and see if you can duplicated the problem and that no shorts/ wiring issues exist (Check connectors as well)
3.) If none of the above exist than replace reversing switch
4.) There could be other issues (Bad Module/PCM) but lets be optimistic

I hope it's an easy fix and it's just your reversing back up switch or minor electrical issue and not a major mechanical transmission issue. Hope this helps you! Good Luck!!

(Lightning fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC (Professsional, quality and honest business is my top priorty)

Last edited:

claybeatz

Established Member

*Analyze the problem
*Prove out your solution
*Than fix the problem

Manual Transmission

The PCM sends a voltage signal to the reversing lamps switch. When the transmission is in REVERSE (R), the voltage signal is routed back to the PCM and the PCM sends a message to the BCM-B indicating the transmission is in reverse.

Did you scan for any Body Control Module B (BCM-B) DTC faults @claybeatz? You might have a short. Check for these faults codes.

• DTC B1277:11 (Reverse Lamp: Circuit Short To Ground) — sets when the BCM-B detects a short to ground from one of the reversing lamp output circuits.
  • DTC B1277:15 (Reverse Lamp: Circuit Short To Battery or Open) — sets when the BCM-B detects an open from both reversing lamp output circuits.

POSIBLE CAUSES:

• PCM

2.) Disconnect switch and see if you can duplicated the problem and that no shorts/ wiring issues exist (Check connectors as well)
3.) If none of the above exist than replace switch

I hope it's an easy fix and it's just your back up switch or minor electrical issue and not a major mechanical transmission issue. Hope this helps you! Good Luck!!

(Lightning fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair and Consulting. Professsional, quality and honest business is my top priorty
Thank you so much, will scan for codes tonight and check the switch.

claybeatz

Established Member

*Analyze the problem
*Prove out your solution
*Than fix the problem

Manual Transmission

POSIBLE CAUSES:

• PCM

3.) If none of the above exist than replace switch

I hope it's an easy fix and it's just your back up switch or minor electrical issue and not a major mechanical transmission issue. Hope this helps you! Good Luck!!

(Lightning fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair and Consulting. Professsional, quality and honest business is my top priorty

Hey Vinnie, I pulled the reverse sensor for now so that I don’t get pulled over cuz the strobe light behind my car. Will try swapping to a new sensor. Is there any fluid that will come out or is it above the fill level for the trans?

Thanks so much for your help,

Clay

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Vinnie, I pulled the reverse sensor for now so that I don’t get pulled over cuz the strobe light behind my car. Will try swapping to a new sensor. Is there any fluid that will come out or is it above the fill level for the trans?

Thanks so much for your help,

Clay
Clay the sensor should be above the fill line on the side of the trans. Just play it safe and have a pan there just in case some residual fluid comes out from removing the sensor from the trans.*Please follow safe working practices and make sure your car is supported safely before crawling underneath and your battery neg terminal is disconnected before servicing you car. Good Luck!

Last edited:

claybeatz

Established Member
Clay the sensor should be above the fill line on the side of the trans. Just play it safe and have a pan there just in case some residual fluid comes out from removing the sensor from the trans.*Please follow safe working practices and make sure your car is supported safely before crawling underneath and your battery neg terminal is disconnected before servicing you car. Good Luck!
Will do Vinnie, I appreciate you!

claybeatz

Established Member
Hey Vinnie,

I noticed my reverse lights are still flashing this morning, even after pulling the reverse sensor connector. The car had a backup camera installed by the previous owner so that is flashing on and off as well, but I thought those both would have been keyed from the sensor on the transmission which is weird. Any ideas?

One other thing, I noticed the traction control light comes on, not the traction control off light since that normally shows up since I turn traction control off when I start the car and go

claybeatz

Established Member
I did scan and got no codes, also someone says since I just got my clutch done recently there could be a pinched wire in between the bell housing?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes I do! You definitely either have a short, body module failure or possible a bad pcm. Sorry to say but this is a problem! Are you familiar with using Digital multimeter?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Just so that I fully understand. The car is doing this while in neutral and driving it with the reverse switched unplugged?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I did scan and got no codes, also someone says since I just got my clutch done recently there could be a pinched wire in between the bell housing?
That's a real big possibility! Harnessing runs along both side of the housing and trans. I definitely take a look to see if you can see anything. Your gonna have to isolate this problem. I,ll do what I can to help you out remotely.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you know how or someone you know to use a (DMM) digital Multi meter for testing?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes I have the multimeter and my dad can help me. I saw your pm and it is doing it while driving and in neutral with the switch unplugged.
Ok @claybeatz no worries buddy, we will get this electrical issue resolved. I have a service call and than a EV online coarse for school to attend to later this evening. Im going to look at some electrical prints when I get a minute and we can start to isolate this issue. If you can check for any pinched cables or a harness in the mean time that would really help to confirm no issues with you clutch installation. Im essentially working 2 jobs right now, Ford Motor Co 10 hrs 7 days a week/ My business and going thru school so be patient with my responses as I'll do everything I can to help you in a reasonable time frame.

claybeatz

Established Member
Ok @claybeatz no worries buddy, we will get this electrical issue resolved. I have a service call and than a EV online coarse for school to attend to later this evening. Im going to look at some electrical prints when I get a minute and we can start to isolate this issue. If you can check for any pinched cables or a harness in the mean time that would really help to confirm no issues with you clutch installation. Im essentially working 2 jobs right now, Ford Motor Co 10 hrs 7 days a week/ My business and going thru school so be patient with my responses as I'll do everything I can to help you in a reasonable time frame.
No worries take your time! I will try to get the car up in the air yet again lol and check around the bell housing for any pinched harnesses.

Users who are viewing this thread