Backup camera in Trunk Key Hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for posting that link. It has a ton of information about the camera listed as well, which is really helpful. Definitely on my short list of things to purchase this season.

Have you tried it in the dark? Just wondering how it looks at night.

Last edited:

04cobra701

Established Member
it works good at night i have 5% tint on my car so its really hard to see and night and the camera makes it nice

Spoolx

Established Member
Thats really cool and I would like to see what it looks like inside the trunk

Jefe

Established Member
How did you mount it? If it stuck out a little farther you woulnt see the wing.
How did you remove the locking mechanism?

I was planning on doing that and actually bought this keyhole camera:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IUTGHE/ref=oss_product?tag=amaz08-20]Amazon.com: Boyo VTK350 Night Vision Keyhole Type Camera: Electronics[/ame]

But it was a little too big for the hole so I wound up buying the Boyo VTL120 License Plate Cam. Im glad I did because I can adjust the viewing angle too. Really cool to have especially if youre curious what color the smoke is from your exhaust or for burnouts.

For everyone wanting to do this, avoid CMOS cameras, get CCD and it must have .5 or lower LUX(night display). His is 0 LUX which is the best I believe. Mine is .3 LUX. It is possible to record the feed but you either need to know what you're doing or find someone that does.

Great addition to my stereo/car: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/733214-new-stereo-seat-delete-done.html

Last edited:

04cobra701

Established Member
How did you mount it?
The body of the camera is threaded. I had to widen the key whole to get the camera to fit.
How did you remove the locking mechanism?
Its really tight, but after you remove the cable, it amost falls out.
IMG00012-20101124-1657.jpg

IMG00011-20101124-1656.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
How did you widen the keyhole? I thought you made it sound a little simple haha

Spoolx

Established Member
Thats pretty cool, but dont know if I wanna drill out my keyhole.. I wonder if they have one that actually fits our current hole

04cobra701

Established Member
I used a dremel tools with a sanding bit, and it's really easy to do just need to take your time.

black 10th vert

Established Member
what size was the hole before sanding?

That is what I was wondering too. I want to do this mod, but what I'm on the fence with, is irreparably altering the factory trunk, in case I ever want to restore the car to stock, such as for resale. I never have even used the lock more than maybe one time, but I would hate to make it so the lock could never be put back in. Is it possible to use some sort of washer type adapter to put the lock back in, maybe? I still may just do a plate frame to avoid cutting on the trunk, but this is way more custom/stealth looking!;-)

Jefe

Established Member
I messed around with this idea and looked at measurements on all the Boyo Backup cameras and they are all just about the same size. Our keyhole must be smaller than most. Last time I checked, Boyo makes over 30 different cameras so you might call them and just ask which one is the smallest and compare it to the specs of the ones posted. If you can get one that is only 1/2" to 3/4" inch long round 1" or less diam then it will fit right in front of the existing key slot and just cover it. Gotta figure out how to mount it though

04cobra701

Established Member
lol well that isn't the one I did. lol I was trying to find something close' and that was the best thing I could fine on there forum(as you can see with the lable on the picture). When my friend gets back in town i'll take pics of his z and show you what im talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread