Backpressure question

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
To understand something, push it to the extreme. Will it perform better, with no exhaust, or with cement in the tailpipes?

Put a Cat-Back on Now!

nj7703

Established Member
Has to be a fine balance, lose too much backpreasure, you lose some boost too.That's why i just did the cat back and kept the stock H wth the cats.

Tranzlucent

Invade and Terminate!
Established Member
I think that ideally you would want little backpressure because you will make more power. Now that power is going to be top end or maybe midrange, but your engine will run more efficient. You may only see 6-7lbs of boost, but you will make more hp up top and lose a little down low.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
My Steeda cat-back and FIPK combo lost zero low end torque, but extended the torque further to the right. Just add and intake and exhaust at the same time. You will gain upper end HP and loose zero torque.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Here it is, 100% stock vs Steeda Cat-Back and FIPK CAI.

The torque peak isn't much different, but the area between the curves up top shows a nice gain.

dyno.jpg

Last edited:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I'm looking for a good overall sound, without losing power. My 95 sounds amazing with straight-thru mufflers, but will the 03 sound as good and give as much power as a cat-back (ie flows, stingers, bassani)?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Yes, Your going to gain power! The only question is what sound do you want.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
I'm looking for a good overall sound, without losing power. My 95 sounds amazing with straight-thru mufflers, but will the 03 sound as good and give as much power as a cat-back (ie flows, stingers, bassani)?

Mine with a 2.5" Mac ProChamber and 3" MAC catback sounds wicked and performs equally as well.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
I want it to sound like my 95. On it right now is a Flowmaster catback. I hate how it sounds, but it dyno'd 388/378 with it, which i was impressed with.

My concern is swapping to an o/r x and straight-thru mufflers for a better sound, but risk losing power. Theoretically, I would gain power from what you guys are saying. I guess there is only one way to find out. Is it worth spending the money to have it dyno'd after swapping the exhaust?

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
My plan is to run a Dr. Gas o/r x with powersticks. I just wanted to have an idea of what length powerstick to order, or if i should get two to make more backpressure. I guess ill just order the smallest one.

Ive searched around and havent seen anyone with this combo,so hopefully it will beat the flowmaster's numbers.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Get the bassani X with cats and bassani cat back.. Great power gains, and the right amount of back pressure.. I've seen it tested, and it's a great combo.. and sound amazing!

rezcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
How do you test how much backpressure you are making?

I watched one of the car shows and they were demonstrating the test for backpressure. They put a sensor made just for measuring pressure before the mufflers and also did another run close to the tail pipe ends. Then they did a muffler swap and did the same test and compared the results. They said you could get one of those devices at auto parts stores. Don't remember what it was called though, never thought twice about it!!!

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by rezcobra
I watched one of the car shows and they were demonstrating the test for backpressure. They put a sensor made just for measuring pressure before the mufflers and also did another run close to the tail pipe ends. Then they did a muffler swap and did the same test and compared the results. They said you could get one of those devices at auto parts stores. Don't remember what it was called though, never thought twice about it!!!

Thanks. I would look into it but it would involve a lot more than its worth. Testing backpressure with the flows compared to the powersticks...i dont want to buy a device like that i will use twice.

I think ill just get the powersticks and see how it goes. No one else has them so it will be original.

Users who are viewing this thread