backfires with "new" used x pipe

tombo9876

Established Member
I had a used magnaflow x pipe on my 2003 cobra for two years and never experienced any backfires. I ran over some metal that dented up the cats so I bought another used magnaflow x pipe from a user on here that looked to be in good shape. I removed the old one and installed the new one and since then I have experienced backfires when downshifting (rev matching). It isn't all the time but it is something that never happened with my old x pipe. I checked for exhaust leaks, it's all tight down there. What would cause going from one used magnaflow x pipe to another (same model, this one http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...-cobra-mach-1-tru-x-pipe-with-converters.html) cause backfires to start occurring? Could the cats on the old removed x pipe have been clogged some? Or on the new one? Flowing better? I really should go to the drag strip to see if its running any different.

b_dike

Established Member
If it was flowing better than you'd be experiencing a slightly more lean condition. The backfire comes from unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, indicating a more rich condition. Not sure by what you described would cause your backfires.

ib_604

Established Member
I am also experiencing some backfire these days as well. It started after I removed the cats on my MRT h-pipe. The rich condition actually makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread